We're currently migrating AvaTax Exemptions customers to our new exemption certificate management product, Avalara Exemption Certificate Management (ECM) Essentials.
If you've found this page and the instructions don't match your experience, find the help you need for AvaTax Exemptions in the AvaTax user guide.
Import customer information and details about their exemption certificates at the same time, rather than doing it manually.
- In the menu, select Exemptions > Customers.
- Select Import customers and certificates.
- Select Download the certificate import toolkit to download the import toolkit.
The toolkit contains a ZIP file with a spreadsheet and a help file.
- Open the template and add customer and certificates. Use this guide to help.
- Don't modify the Column headings of the template.
- Break up files longer than 100,000 lines into smaller files.
- Drag the file into the upload field or select Choose file to select the file from a folder.
If there are any errors, download the error file and fix the errors.
- Select Exemptions > Customers to return to your list of customers.
Refresh the page if your new customers do not appear in the list.