The transaction tax export (TTE) is Avalara’s standard for providing tax rates and rules that can be used for your POS system.
Before you begin
We pull information from your AvaTax account to use for the TTE. You can refine some of that information and associate your changes with a unique TTE name.
- If you are not already in Content Generation for POS (CGPOS), on the menu bar select Content > Content Generation for POS.
- In the quick links list at the top of the page, select Export tax data.
- On the Transaction tax export page, select Add TTE.
- On the Add TTE page, enter a unique name for the TTE.
- Update the list of business locations that apply to this TTE:
- To add locations to your AvaTax account before updating them for the TTE, on the menu bar select Settings > Company locations and marketplaces.
- The available list of jurisdictions in Step 5, 6, and 7 is associated with the country, where your company is registered to collect and pay taxes. For example, if your primary business location is selected and validated as Canada in Avatax, only local jurisdictions of Canada will be listed for the fields corresponding to Step 5,6, and 7.
- Under Business locations, select Update my business locations.
- Filter the Results list by type, category, or both.
- Clear any locations that you want to exclude from the TTE, and select Apply.
You must select at least one business location.
- Update the list of ship-to states that apply to this TTE:
- Under Ship-to states, select Update my ship-to states.
- Filter the Results list by state or province.
- Clear any states that you want to exclude from the TTE, and select Apply.
- Update the list of tax groups that apply to this TTE:
When item codes are created and mapped to Avalara tax codes within AvaTax, they can be created as actual items or become a placeholder for groups of items (tax groups). It is best practice to set up item codes as tax groups (Carbonated Soft Drinks, Clothing, and so on) and map them to Avalara tax codes when preparing to receive tax content for your POS system.
- Under Tax groups, select Update my tax groups.
If we detect a high number of item codes for the TTE, a confirmation dialog will display. The best practice is to set up item codes as tax groups (Carbonated Soft Drinks, Clothing, and so on), which you would then map to Avalara tax codes when preparing to receive tax content for your POS system.
- Filter the Results list by Avalara tax code, item code (tax group), or description.
- Clear any tax groups that you want to exclude from the TTE, and select Apply.
- Under Tax groups, select Update my tax groups.
- Select the System properties that apply to this TTE:
- Select the Tax type.
- If you want to Combine rates and Combine amounts, select Yes. The Combine rates and amounts are only supported for TTE output and does not affect Aptos/Xstore file creation.
- If your system accept Bracket tax, select Yes and and select the maximum number of bracket flags that want to assign to each location. If required, you can view and change the states that are selected for your bracket taxes.
- Select a Rounding method for your jurisdictions.
HALF UP Round towards "nearest neighbor" unless both neighbors are equidistant, then round up. If <number> "<" 5, then round down and if <number> ">" = 5, then round up. For example, 1.149 rounds to 1.1. HALF DOWN Round towards "nearest neighbor" unless both neighbors are equidistant, then round down. If <number> "<" 5, then round down and if <number> ">" = 5, then round up. For example, 1.149 rounds to 1.1. HALF EVEN
Round towards "nearest neighbor" unless both neighbors are equidistant, then round to the even neighbor. For example, 1.150 will round up to the even value 1.2 and 1.250 will round down to the even value 1.2.
Round toward positive infinity. This method is opposite of the FLOOR rounding method and never decreases the calculated value. For example, 1.150 rounds to 2.
Round down towards negative infinity. This method is opposite of the CEILING rounding method and never increases the calculated value. For example, 1.150 rounds to 1.
UP Rounds to the next digit; away from zero. DOWN Rounds to the previous digit; toward zero.
- Select the Rounding digits to choose the decimal places you want to round to.
- Select the Custom configurations for your output as Jurisdictions or Custom tax rules.
- Select the Output properties that apply to this TTE:
- Enter a unique name for your folder in Base Name.
- Set the Date Format as Day/Month/Year/Time, as required. The available date format options are DDMMYYYYHHMMSS, YYYYMMDDHHMMSS, and YYYYDDMMHHMMSS.
- Select a Date Position where you want to place the date (before or after folder base name).
- Do the following to specify your file format and extension:
- Select the Encoding format as ANSI, ASCII, or UTF8.
- Select the Delimeter character as Comma (,), Tab (/t), Pipe (|), or Hyphen (-) to separate the values.
The following file extensions are automatically set based on the choice of delimiter character:
- Comma(,): .csv
- Tab(/t): .tsv
- Pipe(|): .txt
- Select New Line Character as Windows (CRLF) or Unix (LF).
- Click Save after making the updates.
The new TTE is added to the list of saved transaction tax exports.