Tell us about your business. We use your company profile to generate tax content for where and what you sell in Canada.
Before you begin
Gather the information you need to set up a company, including:
- Legal company name
The name your company uses on legal documents.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Also known as a Tax Payer ID. This number is created by the IRS. Call the IRS Business and Specialty Tax Line if you don't know your ID or have other questions about your company's identification number.
- Business ID Number (BIN)
If you do business outside the U.S., you need a Business ID (BIN) number. This number is created by the governments in the countries where your business operates.
- Your company's primary address
The physical address for your company's headquarters or main location.
You can find most of these items in your company's tax returns and business registration documents.
- Sign in to Avalara for the first time, if you haven't already.
The first time you sign in, we ask you to accept Avalara's Terms and Conditions.
- Check your email for the confirmation Avalara sent you when you signed up for your account.
- Sign in to your account using the username and link in your confirmation email.
- Follow the prompts to create a new password.
- The first step of Avalara's guided onboarding menu details the information that you'll need to complete your profile. Select Get Started.
- Enter your company name and phone number.
- Uncheck My company's primary business location is in the US.
- Select Canada as your Country of Primary Location
- Enter your Business ID Number (BIN) and Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- If this is your first AvaTax company, skip the checkbox for organizing it under a parent company. You can create additional companies later.
- Select whether or not this company is an online marketplace.
- Select Next.
- Tell us where your business is located.
- Enter your primary business address including the street address, city, province or territory, and postal code. This should be a place where you're registered to collect tax.
- Select Validate address. Compare the address you entered against the validated address.
- Select Use validated address to accept the changes or select Keep original address to use the address you entered.
We recommend using the validated address for the most accurate tax calculations.
- Select Next.
- Tell us where you collect tax.
- Canada is automatically added to places where you collect tax. To add more provinces, select I Need to Add Canada Authorities.
- Adjust country-level settings for permanent establishment and importer of record as needed.
- When you're done managing authorities, select No, this is complete to proceed.
- You're asked to add additional countries where you collect VAT / GST. This list of countries does not impact your ability to generate Canadian tax content. Scroll down and select I don't need to add VAT/GST countries to proceed.
- The final Where You Collect menu lists tax types and places where you collect.. To make changes to your provinces or authorities, select the VAT/GST tab and select Details beside Canada. When you're finished setting up where you collect, select Done with tax jurisdictions to proceed to the next onboarding step.
- Select Activate Company. After your company has been activated, the AvaTax Home page appears.
- Change this company's default currency to Canadian Dollar.
- Go to Settings > All Settings.
- Next to Advanced Company Settings, select Manage.
- Under Default Currency, in the Currency field, enter "cad" and then select Canadian Dollar when it appears.
- Select Save.
- Add products and tax groups to your profile.
- Go to Settings > What You Sell.
- Item codes mapped to tax codes within AvaTax can be created as actual items or to serve as a placeholder for groups of items, called tax groups in the CGPOS application. We recommend setting up item codes as tax groups (Carbonated Soft Drinks, Clothing, and so on) and mapping them to Avalara tax codes when preparing to receive tax content for your POS system.
- See Import and map items to tax codes for instructions.
Once the above information has been added to your company profile, you're ready to build your first transaction tax export file in CGPOS.