Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

What is a registered agent and how do I get one?

The requirement to have a registered agent in a state is separate and distinct from the requirement to register to collect sales and use tax. However, in some states, businesses may have to register with the Secretary of State or another entity before obtaining a sales tax permit or license. 

Avalara Licensing can help you register to collect sales and use tax in any state, county, city, or other jurisdiction in the United States. Avalara doesn’t provide registered agent services. 

You can find more details about registered agents including some useful links at

  • Was this article helpful?