Learn how to get started managing your exempt customers in AvaTax:
- Add or import tax exempt customers and manage them in one place.
- Edit active exemptions.
- Request new exemptions by email.
- Store exemption documents for audits.
If your business participates in Avalara's SST program, you must add exempt customers before processing transactions. See SST Exemption Requirements.
Before you begin
View default exemption settings in AvaTax and make changes if needed.
- In AvaTax, select Exemptions.
The Exemptions page opens.
- Select Get Set Up.
AvaTax gets your account ready in the background. This may take a few minutes.
- Add your exempt customers to AvaTax using one of the following options:
- Test your setup.
Use the tax calculator or create a transaction to make sure that your exempt customers are not charged tax.