After uploading your product catalog to AvaTax, request classification for any items that need tariff codes. Avalara assigns tariff codes to your item so that you can calculate customs duty and import taxes or export a list of classified items for use in your own business application.
Before you begin
- Add your company information to AvaTax
- Add non-U.S. countries where you collect customs duties
- Import your product catalog
This feature is only available to Managed Tariff Code Classification customers.
- From the AvaTax Home page, go to Settings > What You Sell.
- Use the checkboxes to select one or more items, and then select Request Classification.
Avalara allows a maximum of 500 items per request. Submit multiple requests if your product catalog contains more than 500 items.
- Select the countries that Avalara should assign a tariff code for, and then click Submit for Classification.
When we receive your request, we'll use your product information to find and assign the correct tariff code for each country. Tariff codes appear in the Universal Tariff Code column once your request is complete.