There are different ways to manage tax-exempt customers and exemption certificates. Depending on how many tax-exempt customers you have, choose the way that's right for you.
Exemptions is included with AvaTax Update.
- Store up to 25 customer exemption certificates.
- Exempt purchases from sales tax by associating exemption information with your customer.
CertCapture is the most comprehensive solution for managing exemption certificates. However, it is an additional product that must be purchased separately.
- Use CertCapture without or without AvaTax Update.
- Store exemption information and official copies of exemption certificates for each customer.
- Collect, validate, and manage compliance documents in the cloud.
- Proactively prepare for audits, with an organized database of customer exemption certificates.
- Collect certificates at checkout, through a secure web portal, or using a mobile app.
- Contact your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information.
Exemption certificate numbers or entity use codes
Keep track of tax-exempt customer purchases on a case-by-base basis. This works best when you have only a few tax-exempt customers and you're not using Exemptions or CertCapture. If you choose this option, it's up to you to keep organized records of all exempt purchases.
- Enter your customer's exemption certificate number in the transaction you send to AvaTax Update.
AvaTax Update exempts the customer purchase from tax.
- Enter an entity use code in the transaction you send to AvaTax Update.
AvaTax Update exempts the transaction as long as the code is valid for the region where the transaction takes place.