Send Avalara a list of items you sell so Avalara can map them to Harmonized System (HS) tariff codes. Items in AvaTax should have both a tariff code and a tax code to ensure that imported and exported products are taxed properly when shipped between countries.
Stored tariff code assignments are included in tax calculations, whether that's in AvaTax or in the customer checkout experience via a supported integration.
Before you begin
- Does your Managed Tariff Code Classification subscription include storage?
If so, tariff code assignments are stored in AvaTax and you can request classification from there. If not, use FTP or the API to manage tariff code classification.
- Set up AvaTax before uploading your products
- Import items and product information for tariff code classification
Upload your product catalog to AvaTax using an import template. Certain fields are required because they're important for assigning tariff codes.
- Request classification for items
Tell Avalara which items need a tariff code. We'll assign one based on your company profile and key product information.
- Export items with tariff codes
Generate a list of your products with their new tariff code assignments so you can use it in your own business software.
Importing items via SFTP
Use SFTP to send your product catalog to Avalara.
- Follow the instructions on our developer website to establish a SFTP connection.
- Convert your product catalog into a Google product file.
- Place your product file in the Inbound FTP directory.
- A file containing your completed classifications will be placed in the appropriate Outbound FTP directory after Avalara processes your product file.
Importing items via API
Use Avalara's item classification API to retrieve and manage tariff code assignments.
- Follow the instructions on our developer website to send items for classification.
- Tariff code assignments are automatically stored as an Avalara Item object if Avalara stores your tariff code assignments.
- If your subscription doesn't include storage, create a webhook to receive your classifications
Finding tariff codes on your own
Use Avalara's REST API to find tariff codes manually. See HS Code Search in REST.