AvaTax Update treats items that you don't map to tax codes as tangible personal property (TPP), applying the Avalara tax code P0000000, which is fully taxable everywhere.
Before you begin
Determine where you want to map items to Avalara tax codes.
- The most common place to map an item to a tax code is the place where you maintain your master inventory list, which is typically in your business application. Find your business application or system for specific instructions.
- We recommend mapping items to tax codes in either your accounting software or AvaTax Update but not both. Mapping items in AvaTax Update overrides mapping items in your application.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Settings > What You Sell.
- On the What You Sell page, select the checkboxes next to the items you want to map to the same Avalara tax code and then click Assign a Tax Code to Selected Items.
- Enter the Avalara tax code you want to assign to the items in the Tax Code field. Under Find and Select a Tax Code, search for the code you need.
- Click Save when you're done.
AvaTax Update displays the updated information about your items on the What You Sell page.