If your company sells products through an online marketplace, such as Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay, and your business application doesn't send location information to Avalara, you'll need to add it to your company profile as a location. Adding an online marketplace as a location lets you view and sort transactions made for each marketplace and allows you to exclude those transactions from Managed Returns when a marketplace collects and pays for you.
If you have more than one location to set up, it might be easier for you to import locations in bulk rather than setting them up one at a time.
- In Avalara, go to Settings > Company Locations and Marketplaces.
- Select Import Locations.
- Fill out the Import Locations template.
- Enter 3 in the AddressTypeId column to indicate that the row is creating a marketplace rather than a physical location
- If the you're collecting and paying tax on marketplace sales, enter 6 in the AddressCategoryId column.
- If the marketplace is collecting and paying tax for you, enter 7 in the AddressCategoryId column.
- On the Import Locations page in Avalara, drag and drop the import template file to the area in the center of the page.
You can click Browse Instead and select the file from your computer if you prefer.
- Wait for the import to complete. How long this takes depends on the size of the import template file.
Your new locations are now in Avalara.
If you don't use Extractor and the online marketplace collects and pays tax on your behalf, create a custom rule to exclude online marketplace transactions from AvaTax tax calculations.