Instead of mapping items to Avalara tax codes one at a time, import many items and map them to tax codes in AvaTax Update.
Before you begin
Determine where you want to map items to Avalara tax codes.
- The most common place to map an item to a tax code is the place where you maintain your master inventory list, which is typically in your business application. Find your business application or system for specific instructions.
- We recommend mapping items to tax codes in either your business application or AvaTax Update but not both. Mapping items in AvaTax Update overrides mapping items in your application.
Import items and tax codes using an .xls, .xlsx, or .csv file. The template in AvaTax Update is preformatted, so take a shortcut and use that to create your file. The maximum number of lines allowed in one import file is 100,000.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Settings > What You Sell.
- Click Import items.
- Download the Item Import toolkit and the Avalara tax code list.
- Create the import file using the item and tax code import template guidelines.
- On the Import Items page in AvaTax Update, drag and drop or upload your file.
After the file uploads, AvaTax Update displays the updated information about your items on the What You Sell page.