AvaTax Update uses tax codes to know when and where to tax your products and services. When you can't find the right code for what you sell, create a custom code.
Before you begin
Check to see if there's an existing Avalara tax code that you can use.
- In AvaTax Update, click Settings.
- Next to Custom Rules, click Manage.
- Click Custom Tax Codes and then click Add a Custom Tax Code.
- Enter the details for your custom tax code, including type, code, and a description.
- Click Save Custom Tax Code.
- Assign your new tax code to a tax rule to start using it.
Custom tax codes can't be deleted if they're assigned to a tax rule or if they've been used for a transaction.
Unlike Avalara tax codes, AvaTax Update doesn't keep custom tax codes up to date with rate changes. You'll need to keep custom codes up to date on your own. If you want to make changes to your custom code, click Details next to its name.