AvaTax uses tax codes to know when, where, and how much to tax your products and services. When you can't find the right code for the items you sell, you can create a custom code.
Before you begin
Check to see if there's an existing Avalara tax code you can use.
Important: AvaTax doesn't keep custom tax codes up to date with rate changes. You need to keep them up to date on your own. To change your custom code, select Details.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > All AvaTax Settings.
- Next to Custom Rules, select Manage.
- Select Custom Tax Codes and then select Add a Custom Tax Code.
- Enter the details for your custom tax code, including the type, the code, and a description.
- Select Save Custom Tax Code.
- Assign your new tax code to a tax rule to start using it.
Custom tax codes can't be deleted if they're assigned to a tax rule or if they've been used for a transaction.