If you're filing in a location-based region, or just want to track which location your sales are coming from, assign location codes to transactions from your different locations. To help keep track of these transactions, create an advanced transaction rule to assign these codes for you.
Transaction rules only affect transactions as they're coming into Avalara. If you want to add location codes to transactions that are already in the system, edit them.
Create a reporting location rule
Create reporting location rules in your company settings. This affects all transactions that are sent to this company from your connectors and integrations.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > All AvaTax settings.
- Next to Custom Rules, select Manage.
- Select the Advanced Rules tab and then select Add an advanced rule.
- Select Reporting location under Rule Type.
- Enter the rule information.
- Choose addresses to be assigned to location codes.
- Fields that you leave blank are ignored (so for example if you want to make all transactions from an entire state get a single location code assigned to them, fill in only the State line on an address entry).
- Add more lines if you need more addresses for different location codes.
- If you want a location code to be assigned to all transactions that don't match any of the addresses you enter in the rule, choose one from the If no match is found dropdown.
- Select Save advanced transaction rule.
Test your transaction rule by creating a test transaction in whatever system you use to send transactions to Avalara.
Create and manage advanced transaction rules
Create an advanced rule to exclude marketplace transactions
Create an advanced tax rule to find and replace transaction values