If you need a U.S. location to fall within a different jurisdiction than it's assigned to in AvaTax Update, you can create a jurisdiction override. Some reasons you might consider a jurisdiction override:
- Your company has an address that doesn't fall within the boundary assigned by AvaTax Update.
- You have documentation from the state showing the correct tax jurisdictions and tax rate for an address.
- The transaction is in a city that exists in more than one county or a county that crosses multiple city and or special tax jurisdiction boundaries.
Before you begin
Be careful when deciding whether or not to create an override. Always consult with your tax advisor before making changes that could affect your company's tax compliance.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Settings > All AvaTax Settings.
- Next to Advanced Company Settings, select Manage.
- Select Add a Jurisdiction Override.
- Fill out the information for the override.
- Enter an override a name that's easy to remember.
- Select an effective date to tell AvaTax Update when to start applying the override.
- Decide if the override should apply to a zip code or a specific address.
- Enter the zip code or the address and select Save.
- Select the jurisdictions you want to use.
- Select Save Override.