If you need a U.S. location to fall within a different jurisdiction than it's assigned to in AvaTax, you can create a jurisdiction override. Reasons you might consider a jurisdiction override:
- Your company has an address that doesn't fall within the boundary assigned by AvaTax.
- You have documentation from the state showing the correct tax jurisdictions and tax rate for an address.
- The transaction is in a city that exists in more than one county or a county that crosses multiple city and or special tax jurisdiction boundaries.
Important: Creating a jurisdiction override might affect your company's tax compliance. Consult with your tax advisor before creating a jurisdiction override.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > All AvaTax Settings.
- Next to Advanced Account Settings, select Manage.
- Under Jurisdiction Overrides, select Manage Jurisdiction Overrides.
- Select Add a Jurisdiction Override.
- Fill out the information for the override.
- Enter an override a name that's easy to remember.
- Select an effective date to tell AvaTax when to start applying the override.
- Decide if the override should apply to a zip code or a specific address.
- Enter the zip code or the address and select Save.
- Select the jurisdictions you want to use.
- Select Save Override.