When you want to create a custom tax rule that applies to all counties, cities, or special tax jurisdictions within a state, consider using a specially-formatted import. This saves you the time of setting up a separate rule for each jurisdiction. For example, you could import a single tax rule to set the rate for all counties in a state to 0%.
- In AvaTax, select Settings.
- Next to Custom Rules, select Manage.
- Download the Tax Rule Import Template.
- Select Tax Rules.
- Select Import Tax Rules.
- Select Download the Tax Rule Import Toolkit.
- Create your import file using the template. See the guidelines for the tax rule import template if you need help.
- Enter the two-letter country abbreviation in the Country column.
- Enter the state abbreviation in the Region column.
- Enter the jurisdiction type (CTY, CIT, or STJ) in the JurisTypeId column.
- Enter an asterisk (*) in the JurisCode column.
- Enter a descriptive name in the JurisName column.
- Upload your file on the Import Your Tax Rules page.
If you get an error message while uploading your toolkit file, click View Rule Import History and download the error file. Open the error file to see which rule created the error and make changes based on what you see. Rename the toolkit file and upload it again.
- Use the tax calculator to test your tax rule.