A company profile includes key information about your business that determines how AvaTax Update calculates tax:
- Where you collect and pay tax, locations for location-based filing if required, and online marketplaces, if any
- Products and services you sell that may be taxed at different rates
- Customers you exempt from sales tax, if any
Whether you need to complete all five steps to create a company profile depends on your business and filing requirements. If you aren't sure, ask a tax professional.
When your business has more than one company...
You can create an additional company profile at any time. Go to Settings > Manage Companies and click Add a Company to get started.
Before you begin
- Add your company information.
Begin by entering your address and tax ID numbers.
- Tell us where you collect and pay tax.
Enter the states, local jurisdictions, and countries where you're registered to collect and pay tax.
- Verify your jurisdictions and activate your company.
Double-check that we know everywhere you collect and pay tax. Confirm the tax types, effective date for each jurisdiction, and tax ID numbers.
- Add other company locations for location-based filing.
Add other locations if you need to file returns based on location reporting requirements.
- Set up your company profile for online marketplace transactions.
If you sell through an online marketplace such as Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay, learn how to add it to your company profile.