You need to take some extra steps and keep some additional things in mind if you want to use AvaTax to calculate tax for Brazil, Canada, or India.
Brazil requires additional documentation if you want to do business outside of Sao Paolo. Speak to a tax professional to understand what you need to do to collect and pay tax within Brazil, and contact your Account Manager to discuss Avalara's Brazil-specific software solutions.
Canada has different tax rates based on the province where your company does business. Once you select Canada, you need to select the individual provinces where you collect provincial tax. If you do not select a province, you will collect only the federal GST tax for transactions in the province.
Canadian provinces are split into three different ways to collect and pay tax. AvaTax keeps track of the different tax types for you as long as you add the provinces where your company does business to your company profile.
Harmonized sales tax (HST)
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland & Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
National goods and services tax (GST) and provincial tax (PST)
- British Columbia
- Northwest Territories
To calculate India GST, you need to assign a tariff code to each product or search that you sell. This feature isn't compatible with all business applications. Contact your account manager for more information about supported business applications.
If your business application isn't compatible with this feature, follow these steps instead:
- Once you add India to the list of places where you collect and pay tax, you also need to select all of the places within India where your company does business.
- Set up your AvaTax company profile to calculate tax on transactions made in India.
- Use your existing tax codes or create custom tax codes.
- Set up tax rules to calculate GST for your tax codes.
There are a couple of different ways to learn which rate to use for what you sell.
- If you're already using Avalara tax codes, use our GST rate product-tax code descriptions.
- If you want to create custom tax codes, use India's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs website.