Creating a company profile is your first step toward tax compliance. To begin, we ask you for some information about your company.
Before you begin
Gather the following information:
- Legal company name
The name your company uses on legal documents.
- Taxpayer ID Number
Also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This number is created by the IRS. Call the IRS Business and Specialty Tax Line if you don't know your ID or have other questions about your company's Taxpayer ID Number.
- Business ID Number
If you do business outside the U.S., you need a Business ID (BIN) number. This number is created by the governments in the countries where your business operates.
- Your company's primary address
The physical address for your company's headquarters or main location.
You can find most of these items in your company's tax returns and business registration documents.
|If you need help along the way, hover the mouse pointer over the tip (i) icons on the screen for more information.|
- Sign in to Avalara for the first time, if you haven't already.
The first time you sign in, we ask you to accept Avalara Terms and Conditions.
- Check your email for the confirmation Avalara sent you when you signed up for your account.
- Sign in to your account using the username and link in your confirmation email.
- Follow the prompts to create a new password.
- Enter your company name and taxpayer ID, and then select Next.
If you have more than one company, begin with the parent company. You can add the other companies later.
If your primary business address is located outside the U.S., clear the My company's primary business location is in the U.S. checkbox, select the country your business is located in, and enter the Business ID (BIN) for that country. If your business collects and remits VAT for products sold in the European Union, select the I do business within the European Union checkbox and enter your Import One-Stop-Shop (IOSS) registration number. If you have appointed an IOSS intermediary, select that checkbox too.
- Tell us where your business is located.
- Enter your primary business address including the street address, city, state or territory, and ZIP or postal code. This should be a place where you're registered to collect tax.
- Select Validate address.
If your company is located outside the U.S., you may not see this option. If that's the case, select Next to skip this step.
- Compare the address you entered against the validated address.
- Select Use validated address to accept the changes or select Keep original address to use the address you entered.
We recommend using the validated address for the most accurate tax calculations.
- Select Next.
Once you've validated your company's primary address, we add that address to the list of places or local jurisdictions where you're registered to collect and pay tax. You're on your way, setting up your company profile.