AvaTax calculates taxes beyond sales, use, or VAT/GST taxes. Calculate taxes and fees such as eWaste, bottle, and lodging along with your other calculations.
Before you begin
Decide which tax type your business needs. Some tax types require an additional subscription.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- Select the tax type that you want to add.
- Add the tax type to a new or an existing location.
- For an existing location, select Details next to the place where you want to add an additional tax type and select the tax from the Tax Type drop-down list.
- For a new location, select Add to Where You Collect... and follow the prompts.
- Double-check your location settings.
- If Automatically Update Authorities appears, make sure it's set the way you want.
- Confirm the jurisdiction effective date.
- Select local lodging taxes or fees if you're adding the lodging tax type.
- Enter the tax ID for your country if it's required but not listed.
- Check that your place of supply settings are accurate.
- Change the importer of record setting if you're responsible for collecting customs duties or other import taxes.
- Select Done with... to save your changes for this location.
Your company profile is ready for AvaTax to start calculating additional taxes. Map the items you sell to Avalara tax codes to tell AvaTax when to use additional tax types.