Some U.S. states require companies to file tax returns for each physical location individually. This is called location-based filing. Add locations to your company profile to make filing tax returns in these states easier.
If you use Returns, we may be able to create locations for you in regions where you've set up return forms by pulling information from your account on the taxing jurisdiction's electronic filing website. Unfortunately, most jurisdictions don't provide us with that information, so it's usually better to create locations in AvaTax yourself to make sure that you're prepared for filing.
If you're using Extractor, you might also need to add online marketplace locations.
Before you begin
Gather the addresses for any physical locations that your company has in U.S. states that require location-based filing. To add many locations at once, import company locations.
- In Avalara, go to Settings > Company Locations and Marketplaces.
- Select Add a Location.
- Add the location information:
- Enter a location code that is easy to remember or one that you already use in your business application.
- Select Location under Type.
- Select a Category that best describes the location.
- Enter the address for the location, select Validate, and then select Use Validated Address.
- Enter an effective date for when you want transactions to start being calculated for this location.
- Enter additional information if required for your location.
- Select Save This Location.
Now that you've added locations, you need to make sure you're passing the correct location code with each transaction from your business application to us.
If you can't enter the location code in your business application, import the transactions to Avalara using process code 4 to reconcile differences.
You now have a location set up within your company profile that can be used to track transactions in places that require location-based filing. Assign the location code to transactions from this location so that you can create location-specific reports, file through Returns, or filter by location code on the Transactions page.