While you're adding jurisdictions in which you collect and remit, you may need to add businesses outside the US. Then, AvaTax calculates VAT / GST or customs duty for sales in those countries. Before you select additional countries, review how AvaTax handles distance sale thresholds and place of supply settings.
Selecting Canadian provinces and territories turns on the calculation of Canadian Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) for products or services delivered to Canadian customers. If you're a GST/HST registrant, you must select the 5 participating HST provinces: New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island. For more information, see What is GST/HST.
Before you begin
- Customs duty calculations require changes to a few extra company settings. See Set up AvaTax for Cross-border
Add non-US countries to collect VAT / GST or customs duties
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- Click the VAT/GST or Customs Duty tab, and then click Add a Country.
- Check the box beside any country where you do business, and then click Add Selected Countries.
- Click Add a Tax ID or the Details button to modify that country's Tax ID or place of supply settings.
- Click Details beside a country to modify its importer of record setting. This determines who should collect customs duties and import taxes for a transaction.
- If you ship Delivered Duty Paid (DDP), select Yes
- Some services, such as Connectors, offer additional usage and data source information for each integration.
- Click Done with (Country Name) to finish.
- Repeat these steps for each country.