AvaTax address validation is a feature that verifies, corrects, and formats addresses according to the USPS database. When you validate addresses using AvaTax, you ensure that the address is formatted correctly so AvaTax calculates tax accurately. A valid address has 1-3 address lines and lines for the city, state, and ZIP code. At this time, AvaTax only validates addresses in the United States and Canada. Validating addresses may incur additional usage fees.
Here are some of the most common addresses AvaTax validates:
- Your company's address - When you validate your company's address, you ensure that the origin address used on most invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your customers' addresses - When you validate your customers' addresses, you ensure that the ship-to address used on invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your vendors' addresses - When you validate your vendors' addresses, you ensure that:
- Addresses used in consumer use transactions are accurate for tax calculation
- AvaTax verifies VAT calculation is correct for the address you provide (where applicable)
Depending on your business application, there are other types of addresses that AvaTax validates. We recommend validating all addresses for accurate tax calculation.
Validate addresses several different ways:
- Validate many addresses at once - Most business application that integrates with AvaTax includes a utility that allows you to validate many or all addresses at once. We recommended this method for validating addresses.
- Validate a single address - If you only have a few addresses to validate, or if you're adding a new address and have already validated the others in your system, use your business application to validate the address or validate the address in AvaTax.
- Validate addresses during tax calculation - Validate addresses on every transaction sent to AvaTax. This is generally a setting in your business application. Avalara doesn't recommend validating during tax calculation because this could increase your usage fees significantly.
Validate an address
- Open any transaction and click the Actions tab.
- In the Functions group, click the Avalara Functions icon and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation dialog box, click Accept three times to accept the validated address for the bill-to, ship-to, and sell-to addresses.
- Click Close and then OK.
Validate a ship-to address
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the left pane, click Departments, click Sales & Marketing, and then click Sales.
- On the right pane under Lists, click Customers.
- Double-click any customer and in the Edit - Customer Card dialog box, on the toolbar, in the Customer group, click Ship-to Addresses.
- In the View - Ship-to Address List dialog box, click any ship-to address.
- In the Edit - Ship-to Address dialog box, click the Navigate tab.
- At the upper left, click Avalara Functions and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation screen, click Accept, and in the Edit - Ship to Address dialog box, click OK.
Validate a location
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the left pane, go to Departments > Warehouse.
- On the right pane, click Administration, and then under Setup, click Locations.
- In the View - Location List dialog box, click a location.
- On the Manage menu, click Edit.
- In the Edit - Location Card dialog box, on the Navigate tab, point to Avalara Functions, and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation dialog box, under Validated Address, see the validated address, and if it's correct, click Accept.
Validate a batch of addresses
The Batch Address Validation utility lets youfor customers, vendors, or locations for a batch of transactions.
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV, go to Home > Departments > AvaTax > Utilities > Administration and click Batch Address Validation Utility.
- In the Edit - AvaTax Batch Address Validation dialog box, select filters to choose which addresses to validate, and then click Validate Range.
- To update addresses with notes in the Remarks column:
- In the row for the address, click the customer number. The customer record opens.
- Update the address.
- Click Actions, and then click Validate Address.
- Click OK on the validation window and on the customer record to close them and return to the batch address validation results.
- Optional: To see the updated address in the Batch Address Validation utility, click Validate Address.