Here are recommendations and best practices for when you import transactions:
- Try a trial import of a few records to increase your familiarity of the import process before importing larger numbers of records.
- Adhere to size limitations for each data field.
- If the import has a status of error, an error file is produced listing the rows that didn't import. The reason the row failed to import is identified in the last column. All rows not found in the error file imported successfully. You can delete all rows and columns in the original file that imported successfully and only fix and re-import the rows that caused errors.
Troubleshoot file imports
To troubleshoot an unsuccessfulimport, examine the resulting error file from the import status screen.
- On the Tools tab, click View Imported File Status.
- On the Import Status screen, click the Error hyperlink in the file column for an imported file. Open Error.csv and view the error message in the last column for each record that failed to import.
- Make the necessary corrections to the records and delete the last column of error messages.
- Save the file with a new name.
- Import the file.
Transaction import error messages
After a file of transactions is imported, some records may result in an error message that you need to troubleshoot. import error messages and their probable causes are listed below:
|AddressNoStreetError||The ZIP/Postal Code exists but no streets begin with the same letter in that ZIP/Postal Code.|
|AddressRangeError||The address was found but the street number in the input address was not between the low and high range of the post office database.|
|AddressUnknownStreetError||An exact street name match could not be found and phonetically matching the street name resulted in either no matches or matches to more than one street name.|
|CityError||The city name or code was not recognized, check the spelling.|
|CompanyNotFoundError||Company used in the transaction does not exist.|
|CountryError||The country name or code was not recognized. You need to verify that you used the correct AvaTax code for the country.|
|CurrencyCodeError||Currency code is either invalid or missing. Add the correct currency code.|
|DateError||A required date was not submitted or was invalid.|
|DestinationJurisdictionError||No jurisdictions were found for the destination address.|
|DocStatusError||There is a duplicate of a document and therefore cannot be saved. You need to use a unique doc code.|
|DuplicateLineNoError||One or more line numbers are duplicates. All line numbers must be unique within the document.|
|JurisdictionNotFoundError||Unable to determine the taxing jurisdictions. To resolve, verify the state abbreviation.|
The maximum length of a field in the GetTax request is exceeded. Verify maximum length in the Type (Size) column of import transactions formats and transaction record format table.
|NonDeliverableAddressError||The physical location exists but there are no homes on this street. One reason might be railroad tracks or rivers running alongside this street, as they would prevent construction of homes in this location.|
|PostalCodeError||The ZIP/Postal Code does not exist and could not be determined by the city/municipality and state/province.|
|RangeError||A value of one field in the GetTax request was not within the required range of values.|
|RegionCodeError||The two-digit state code was not specified or was invalid. To resolve, verify the state abbreviation.|
|RequiredError||One of the required fields is missing in the GetTax request. For a list of required fields, read import transactions formats and transaction record format table.|
|SSTItemError||SST requires an audit trail of the mapping of item codes (SKUs) to system tax codes. You have to put an item description if you are making it non-taxable. To resolve, read import transactions formats and transaction record format table.|
Address is incomplete or invalid.
|TaxIncludedError||TaxIncluded is not supported in combination with caps, thresholds, or base rules.|
|TaxOverrideError||Invalid/Wrong Tax Override or TaxOverride is applied in an invalid way. Verify is the state has sales tax and that you have nexus in that state.|
|TaxRegionError||Invalid TaxRegion is provided in the import file. To resolve, verify the state abbreviation.|