The 5.38.1 release of the Communications Customer Portal includes several enhancements to Compliance reports to simplify the reconciliation process. The existing Compliance report template is still available but is now labeled Compliance (Legacy). This guide explains the differences between each report.
- Compliance: The standard Compliance report template has been updated to include Calculation Type and Discount Type columns, and the way adjustments are represented has changed. Adjustments have been removed from Gross Sales and Net Taxable Measure amounts.
- The new columns and modified adjustment representation allow users to more easily reconcile specific Tax Amounts within the report.
- As an example, for a rate-based tax with no discount applied, simply multiply Net Taxable Measure by Rate to arrive at the Tax Amount.
- Compliance Detail: This report is similar to the standard Compliance report, but it includes additional description columns that make it easier to read.
- Compliance (Legacy): The legacy version of the Compliance Report.
If you have any automated reconciliation processes that were set up before 6/24/2020 and utilize the Compliance report, you should now generate the Compliance (Legacy) report.
See below for a comparison of each report.
What action is required?
No action is required for customers using AvaTax for Communications SaaS Pro.
Over the next 90 days, SaaS Standard users will receive two sets of compliance reports in their output zip file:
- A set of compliance reports in the current format (these files have a .ssf, .nba, or .nca file extension). The report format and naming convention has not changed for these files.
- A second set of compliance reports in the new format. These files will have “_LD” appended to the base file name.
Example: If a user uploads a file named “XYZ123.csv”, they will receive two .ssf files in their output zip file:
These changes will take effect on September 1st, 2020 until December 1st, 2020. After December 1st, all compliance reports will transition to the new format. You will receive only one set of compliance reports in your output .zip file.
Automated SOAP Reports
If you receive automated SOAP Reports, you will begin receiving an additional compliance reports in the new format for the next 90 days. After 90 days, we will transition to the new format and you will only receive a single set of compliance reports.
These changes will take effect on September 1st, 2020 until December 1st, 2020. After December 1st, all compliance reports will transition to the new format.
As a reminder, ad-hoc SOAP reporting is now available in the Reporting section of the Communications Customer Portal.
Compliance report comparison
|Column name||Description||Compliance||Compliance Detail||Compliance (Legacy)|
|Charge Type||A text description of the type of charge:
|Country||The three-character country ISO for taxing jurisdiction.||X||X||X|
|State||The ISO code for the state or province taxing jurisdiction.||X||X||X|
|County||The name of the county taxing jurisdiction.||X||X||X|
|City||The name of the city taxing jurisdiction.||X||X||X|
|Tax Type||The tax type identifier. Refer to this guide for a full list of tax types.||X||X||X|
|Tax Type Description||A text description of the Tax Type.||X|
|Tax Level||An identifier which indicates the jurisdiction level of the tax:
|Tax Level Description||A text description of the Tax Level.||X|
An identifier which indicates the type of discount:
|Discount Type Description||A text description of the Discount Type.||X|
An identifier which indicates the tax calculation method:
|Calculation Type Description||A text description of the Calculation Type.||X|
|Rate||The tax rate.||X||X||X|
|Tax Amount||The total tax amount.||X||X||X|
The gross sales amount. This is calculated as:
|Exempt Sales Amount||The amount of the sale that is exempt from tax.||X||X||X|
|Adjustments||The total adjustment amount.||X||X||X|
|Net Taxable Measure||
The net taxable measure.
|Minutes||The number of minutes used for calculating the tax in per-minute taxes.||X||X|
|Lines||The number of access lines used for calculating the tax in per-line taxes.||X||X|
The total number of minutes included in the transaction input.
This can vary from the Minutes column if some of the minutes are non-taxable.
The total number of lines included in the transaction input.
This can vary from the Lines column if some of the lines are non-taxable.