This guide helps you explore how to generate reports of tax transaction data in the Explorer tab.
Use the Explorer for transactional data
Understand the Explorer report templates
The Explorer templates enable you to quickly generate reports in pre-determined formats. Features of the Explorer:
- After you supply the parameters (such as date ranges), Explorer locates the data for your report and loads it into easy-to-ready templates.
- You can preview reports. In preview mode, a portion of the data is loaded so you can quickly determine whether the report is what you expected. You can make parameter adjustments and preview again without waiting for all the data to load.
- Create your own reusable report templates for customized reporting.
- Tabs for Preview and Download are provided within the Explorer interface.
Select the report template you want to use from the dropdown menu.
A description of each report template and what contents you can expect is listed below.
|Template Name||What Does it Contain?||Data Columns Available*|
|Compliance Report||Customer Billable Amounts - Summarized, fixed-position customer information reports primarily used for billing purposes:
||Charge Type, Country, State/Province, County, City, Tax Type, Tax Level, Rate, Tax Amount, Gross Sales, Exempt, Adjustments, Taxable Measure, Tax Data Minutes, Tax Data Lines|
|Transaction Detail Report (also called the Detailed Log Report)||Contains input and output details for each transaction line item. It contains all the details of the Input file provided by you or your client, combined with tax results. Note that this report is limited to pulling 31 days of data.||All available columns.**|
* Reports return all data based upon specified input criteria. You might need to filter on additional fields which are not part of the default "data columns available." To see all available columns, expand Columns.
** The Server Date and Committed Date columns are reported in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
Specify reporting period and transactions
After you select a template, you must specify which transactions you want to include in the report. Your selections here determine your results.
- In the Period section, either select a month and year, or select a range of dates. Note that the date range must not exceed 31 days.
- Make further selections about data to include in the report.
|If you want to...||Select this option|
|Include transactions for which no taxes were applied.||Include no tax transaction|
|Report transactions that have been posted or finalized.||View Committed Transactions|
|Report transactions that have not yet been finalized (for example, unfinished transactions such as quotes or sales orders).||View Uncommitted Transactions|
|Report on all transactions||View All Transactions|
Adjust the columns
To add or suppress the appearance of data columns in your reports:
- From the Explorer tab, select a template.
- Complete required fields such as Period, plus any optional settings.
- Click Columns. Click and drag to and from Available Columns and Selected Columns. The Selected Columns are the ones that appear in your report.
- To restore default columns, click Default.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
- Click Preview or Download to run the report using the selected columns.
Filter your Explorer results
Filters enable you to use Boolean operators to display data that meets certain criteria. You can add as many filters as make sense for your data. For example, you can display all data columns for charges that are greater than or equal to $.25 with no adjustments.
Use the Preview or Download tabs to see your Explorer results. Note that Preview only returns the first 1000 records, enabling you to verify your report format before generating and downloading a complete report.
Create a custom template
To create a custom template:
- Select a predefined template.
- Adjust your settings, selected columns, and filters.
- Click Save as Template.
Your custom template will be available from the Templates dropdown for future use.