By default, AvaTax for Communications calculates tax for all countries and regions. If your business is not obligated to collect and remit taxes or fees in some regions, learn how to add an Exclusion Group that tells Avalara not to calculate tax for those regions.
This is currently a beta feature available only to some customers using the REST API. See this guide for more information.
Before you begin
Exclusion Groups have to be assigned to a profile to be applied to tax calculations, so make sure you have created a profile before setting up your exclusions.
|Avalara recommends testing all customizations in your sandbox account before you add them to your production account. After you add customizations to your production account, run test transactions or use the tax determination calculator to make sure you receive the expected results before you complete any bill runs.|
- In the Communications Customer Portal, select Settings.
The Settings page opens.
- Next to Customizations, select Manage.
The Customizations page opens.
- On the Profiles tab, select the Exclusions tab.
- Select Add Exclusion Group.
The New Exclusion Group page opens.
- Enter an Exclusion Group Name.
- Under the Choose Locations section, select a country name or All Other Countries to view the available regions.
- Select the regions where you do not collect tax.
The regions that you select are added to the exclusion group, and are regions where tax will not be calculated.
- Under the Assign Profiles section, assign the Exclusion Group to one or more profiles.
- Select Save Exclusion Group.
Tax is not calculated in the selected regions for any Profiles to which the Exclusion Group is assigned.