Map the items you sell to tax codes so that AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol calculates the most accurate tax rates for your customers. During this process you'll also add certain attributes for your alcohol-specific tax codes. If you don't assign tax codes or attributes, all products and services are taxed at the standard sales or use tax rate for each jurisdiction, and alcohol-specific taxes are not calculated.
Before you begin
Determine where you want to map items to Avalara tax codes.
- The most common place to map an item to a tax code is the place where you maintain your master inventory list, which is typically in your business application. Find your business application or system for specific instructions.
- We recommend mapping items to tax codes in either your business application or AvaTax but not both. Mapping items in AvaTax overrides mapping items in your application.
- If you prefer to map the items to tax codes in your business application, make sure that you can also map the attributes that are required for calculation of alcohol-specific taxes.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > What You Sell.
- Select Add an Item.
- Enter an item code and description.
The item code must match the name of the product, service, or charge as it is recorded in your business application.
- Select the Avalara tax code that best fits your item. Find alcohol-specific tax codes here, and all other tax codes here.
A list of codes displays when you start typing.
- Select Save and Get Attributes.
If additional attributes such as alcohol content and net volume are required for accurate tax calculation, they appear under the Define Product Attributes section.
- Enter the required information for each attribute.
Refer to this guide for more information about the attribute options.
- Select Save.
- Repeat steps 2-7 if you have more than one item to map.
Go to Settings > What you Sell to see your items.