If there are missing transactions in AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol, add them to make sure your transactions match what's in your business application.
If you don't want the transaction to be included on tax returns or automatically included in all AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol reports, save the transaction as uncommitted. You can commit it later.
- In AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol, go to Transactions > Transactions and then select Add Transaction.
- Add and save your document details. The following fields are required at the document level:
- Document Code
The unique ID for the invoice, credit memo, or return.
- Document Type:
The kind of invoice the transaction is modeled after.
- Document Date
The transaction document's date.
- Customer/Vendor Code
The ID associated with a customer in your business application.
- Ship from Country and Ship to Country
The state or province of the transaction's origin and destination.
- Ship from Address and Ship to Address
An address, ZIP code, or Canadian postal code for the transaction's origin and destination.
When you're finished, select Save and Add Line Detail.
- Document Code
- Add line items, including the following information:
- Item Code (optional): If you've mapped your items to tax codes, enter the item code here. The tax code and any attributes mapped to the item code are automatically applied.
- Item Description (optional): A description of the item being sold.
- Quantity (optional): The quantity of the item being sold. Tax is sometimes calculated based on the number of items being sold, so it's best practice to include a quantity if the line item includes more than one item.
- Total Amount (required): The total dollar amount of the line item.
- Avalara Tax Code (optional): The tax code of the item being sold. You don't need to enter anything here if you've enter an Item Code that's mapped to a tax code.
If you do need to enter a tax code here, select Add Additional Information and Tax Overrides and then select Document Line Attributes.
- Select + Attribute to add a new attribute. Refer to this guide for more information about the attribute options.
- If necessary, each line item can have its own address information and special tax handling. If you're an SST seller:
- You must enter a street address, the item code, and the item description.
- If you haven't already completed tax code mapping in AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol, you must enter the tax code.
- If you have the status of Volunteer, you can't use custom codes or tax overrides.
Select Save Line Item when you're finished.
- Select Calculate Tax to preview the tax before you save the transaction.
If you make any changes, select Calculate Tax to recalculate the tax after each change. The tax amounts are shown for each line item. To see additional information, including tax types, tax rates, and jurisdictions, expand the tax detail for a line item. If you enter a tax override, AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol ignores the tax calculation and displays the tax override amount.
Tax overrides are allocated proportionally across all tax types. If 75% of the total tax is alcohol tax and 25% is sales tax, 75% of the tax override amount is allocated to alcohol tax and 25% is allocated to sales tax.
- Select Save.
Committed transactions are automatically included in AvaTax for Beverage Alcohol reports. If you use Managed Returns to file your sales tax returns, only committed transactions are filed. If you want to save the transaction for later reference but don't want it appearing in reports or returns, select Save as Uncommitted.