This document applies to Excise Pro. Content last updated 3/23/2017.
Help Center documentation is confidential and proprietary to Avalara clients.
You can prepare an import file using a template provided by Avalara. A file can be used for only a single jurisdiction, taxpayer type and tax period.
Add schedule transactions to the import file
You can upload the data import as either an Excel (.xlsx) or Comma Separated Value (.csv) file type. The required fields vary between jurisdictions, so each one has its own template. Each template includes an instructional tab explaining its field restrictions.
If you are using an Open Data Source (free office software) program to prepare the file, click your software's File > Save As menu to change it to an Excel or CSV file for importing, as shown below. Check the Help menu in your office software for tips in filling in your data on the template.
- The file must be created on the template downloaded from the Data File Upload window. Click on the tax session grid row, select Data File Upload and then click Download template.
- Complete the required data fields for each schedule. Typically this consists of a minimum of the following:
- ScheduleCode - the state's schedule name, such as 7A1, B2, 14D, etc.
- ProductCode - the exact product code. 065 is not the same as 65.
- Bill of Lading
- Bill of Lading Date
- BusinessEntities - the companies with whom you do business.
- Keep the names consistent without any variations in spelling or punctuation.
- For example, once you type Jones Company, you cannot use Jones Co. for the same company.
- In the Locations column, type to the name of your Location. Remember to keep the names consistent without any variations in spelling or punctuation.
- For example, once you type Smith & Sons Service, you cannot use Smith and Sons Service for the same location.
- In the Gallons column, refer to your jurisdictions' tax requirements on whether to enter Net, Gross and/or Billed gallons. Type only whole gallon amounts.
- Do not reformat the template cells or columns. Adding or editing format features may cause your import to fail.
- If you have copied and pasted cells into your template, remove any leading spaces in the cells.
- If you use the auto function (highlight and drag) to populate columns that all contain the same value, make sure that it copies and does not increase your number and/or dates by 1 for each cell.
- Save the file to your computer.
- You may rename your import file as long as the file extension is .xlsx or .csv
- Example of file name: AvaOil TN Blender March 2015.xlsx
- The completed data tab on the template will look similar to this example:
Click here to continue on to uploading your file into the software.