This site is only for Avalara customers licensed for Returns Excise, AvaTax Excise and Government.
Documentation of operation, usage and release dates is confidential and proprietary information of Avalara, Inc..
Last updated: 2021-09-13.
This page is primarily for Admin users. See Excise User Accounts for the definition of an Admin user.
A Role is a group of permissions for a user account.
- Permissions describe what a user can see or do.
- Each Permission has Levels, None > View > Edit (lowest to highest).
- A few Permissions only have None > View or None > Edit.
Available roles are based on your licensed product.
Government customers - your main page view may not show the Apps menu.
AvaTax Excise Pro or Returns Excise Pro
If you can see the menu Admin > User list, you are an Admin user and can assign one of these roles to new or existing users:
- PRO_USER can edit data and view all user screens.
- PRO_ADMIN adds Admin > User List menu permissions to PRO_USER and the ability.
AvaTax Excise, Returns Excise Enterprise and Government
System Roles are created and updated by Avalara.These roles, except ZMS_COMPANY_ADMIN_WITH_MASTER, are also Parent Roles and can be used to create a Child Role.
- ZMS_VIEW can view maintenance and return / calculation screens but not edit any data
- ZMS_EDIT can view and edit all maintenance and return / calculation screens
- ZMS_COMPANY_ADMIN adds user administration
- ZMS_COMPANY_ADMIN_WITH_MASTER adds the ability to export and import master data
- ZMS_API_SERVICE is for programs to request and receive information. It is not to be used by people.
- Click Admin > Roles from the menu. (You must be an Admin user.)
- To find a specific Role click the Filter icon and navigate to the Role name.
- Click on a Role
- The lower half of the screen shows groups of Role permissions.
- Click the triangle to view or hide the Role permission group.
- Permission Levels are None > View > Edit
- The complete list of permissions can be exported by clicking the Export Role Permissions (gear) icon in the Actions column from the upper half of the screen.
- Users with an ADMIN role may also be able to execute the Roles data source in Reporting > Express View.
You can create and name your company's Child Role from an Avalara Parent Role and customize it to meet your needs.
Parent Roles are:
Create a Child Role
- Go to Admin > Roles.
- Select your Master Company.
(To find your Master Company, go to Reporting > Express View, select the Data Source: Company / Sub-Company and click the Execute button.)
- In the Parent Role Indicator column header, click the Filter icon.
- Keep Is equal to, enter Y in the open field, and click Filter.
- Review the permissions to be used for your Child Role.
- In the Actions column, click the Create a Client Role icon (hover to find the name).
- Child Role Name: Enter a name with up to 120 characters from A-Z, 0-9, or underscore. No spaces or other characters are allowed.
- Description: Be as descriptive as you want, up to 2,000 characters. If you choose to use the Bold, Italics and other editing tools, those will add HTML tags and reduce the maximum characters.
- Master Company Role Access: Applies only if you have more than one Master Company (uncommon). If you do, type the additional company names to select them.
- Click Submit.
Update a Child Role
- Go to Admin > Roles.
- Find and click on the child row you want to update. The lower half of the window will then show the Role Permissions in groups.
- Click a Role Permission group to see all permissions within that group.
- Read the Description and Permission Level.
- In the Actions column, click the Edit icon, choose a new Permission Level and click Update.
Choosing a role for a new user by function
- Click Reporting > Express View.
- Click the dropdown next to Data Source and select Roles.
- Filter on the user function in the Description column to display all Roles that allow the function.
- Each Role Permission is listed separately in the Description column.
- Set the Role in the Admin > Userlist account.