This document applies to all license types. Content last updated 11-Dec-2018.
Help Center documentation is confidential and proprietary to Avalara clients.
Tip: Use the Table of Contents on the right to select your topic.
- Avalara supports the current and 2 previous minor releases. For example, when version 5.33 is the current release, 5.32 and 5.31 are also supported and older versions are not.
- Avalara supports our software on Microsoft-mainstream-supported versions of Windows Server and SQL Server.
- When Microsoft’s mainstream support for them ends, support with our software also ends. Search Microsoft's lifecycle policy site for Mainstream Support End Dates.
- When you download releases, be sure to select Documentation in the Select Version dropdown and see if there is a new version of the "Avalara Excise Platform System Requirements" document.
- The Avalara Excise Platform is generally compatible with new versions of Windows Server and SQL Server as they are released. We may not "certify" immediately on the new versions due to development cycles.
Release Types, Frequency and Version numbers
Avalara Excise releases come in the following types and frequency:
The release schedule for the upcoming year is published on this page every 4th quarter.
SaaS (cloud based) customers
When you first login, the Message Center shows recent messages, including Update release announcements on the day of the release.
By default, once you've read a message on the Home page, it disappears. To see all message from the last 60 days, you can:
- Click the Expand Grid button in the Message Center.
- Click the Notifications icon in the upper right corner.
- Click Admin > Message Center from the menu.
The Message Center also includes announcements of late-breaking issues, often with links to the News Flash section of this Help Center.
A banner message is displayed at the bottom of each page 48 hours before each monthly and quarterly releases. Updates that require an outage are also given banner messages, although in very rare circumstances, this may be for less than 48 hours.
Self-hosted (deployed) customers
Skip this section if you use the cloud (SaaS) version at https://excise.avalara.net.
- Notices of new releases are sent to your organization's designated Support Contacts and IT Contacts.
- Support Contacts and IT Contacts can download supported releases from the Avalara Excise Platform under Admin > Support Downloads.
- Here's information on using the Support Downloads feature.
- Each release includes a setup executable and a release highlights document.
Support is provided for the current and 2 previous minor releases. For example, when 5.25 is the current release, 5.24 and 5.23 are also supported. If a correction is included in a newer version, upgrading will likely be the solution. Look at the bottom of any page for the version.
Avalara observes the following holidays and will be closed on these days in 2018. Support requests will be handled on the next business day.
|New Year's Day||Monday, January 1|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 28|
|Independence Day||Wednesday, July 4|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 3|
|Thanksgiving Day||Thursday, November 22|
|Day after Thanksgiving||Friday, November 23|
|Christmas Eve||Monday, December 24|
|Christmas Day||Tuesday, December 25|
The Avalara Excise Platform encompasses Avalara's Returns Excise, AvaTax Excise and Government products.
- Updates are unscheduled, late-breaking releases.
- Since version 5.34.0, all users can download new Release Highlights from the Avalara Excise Platform under Admin > Support Downloads. See Support Downloads here in the Help Center for details.
|5.31.10||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||1/3/2018|
|5.31.11||Avalara Excise Returns Update||1/17/2018|
|2018.01.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||1/25/2018|
|5.31.20||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||2/1/2018|
|5.31.22||Avalara Excise Returns Update||2/16/2018|
|5.31.23||Avalara Excise Returns Update||2/21/2018|
|2018.02.22||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||2/22/2018|
|5.31.24||Avalara Excise Returns Update||2/23/2018|
|5.32.0||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Quarterly||3/1/2018|
|5.32.1||Avalara Excise Returns Update||3/7/2018|
|5.32.2||Avalara Excise Returns Update||3/14/2018|
|2018.03.22||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||3/22/2018|
|5.32.10||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||4/3/2018|
|2018.04.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||4/25/2018|
|5.32.20||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||5/1/2018|
|2018.05.24||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||5/24/2018|
|5.33.0||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Quarterly||6/4/2018|
|2018.06.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||6/25/2018|
|5.33.10||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||7/3/2018|
|2018.07.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||7/25/2018|
|5.33.20||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||8/1/2018|
|2018.08.23||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||8/23/2018|
|5.34.0||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Quarterly||9/4/2018 scheduled,
|5.34.1||Avalara Excise Returns Update||9/14/2018|
|2018.09.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||9/25/2018|
|5.34.10||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||10/2/2018|
|5.34.11||Avalara Excise Platform Update||10/11/2018|
|2018.10.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||10/25/2018|
|5.34.20||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||11/1/2018|
|2018.11.21||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||11/26/2018|
|5.35.0||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Quarterly||12/3/2018|
|5.35.1||Avalara Excise Platform Update||12/11/2018|
|2018.12.20||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||12/20/2018|
|5.35.10||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||1/3/2019|
|2019.01.24||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||1/24/2019|
|5.35.20||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Monthly||2/4/2019|
|2019.02.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||2/25/2019|
|5.36.0||Avalara Excise Platform Release - Quarterly||3/4/2019|
|2019.03.25||AvaTax Excise Content Preview||3/25/2019|