This document applies to all license types.
Help Center documentation is confidential and proprietary to Avalara clients.
This page contains announcements and late-breaking releases. Click here for scheduled releases and highlights.
1/19/2018 Florida SCETS tax rate effective on 1/1/2018
Florida's State Comprehensive Enhanced Transportation Systems (SCETS) tax rate is not correct for 2018.
If you are not familiar with adding rates, click here.
- Login to the Avalara Excise Platform https://excise.avalara.net/
- Click Maintenance > Rates.
- Click the filter icon in the upper right of the display grid
- Add the following filters:
Florida Local Option Tax Ineligible For Allowance
- You should see just one row, with a rate of 0.074
- Click the row and then click the Copy tab on the new popup window.
- Change the Effective Date to 1/1/2018.
- Change the Tax Rate to 0.076
- Click the Insert button.
- Clear the Obsolete Date filter to view the new rate grid row.
- Clear the Obsolete Date filter to view the new rate grid row.
This rate will be included in these upcoming releases:
- 2018.01.25-53.3.20 Avalara Excise Content Preview on 1/25/2018
- 5.31.20 Avalara Excise Platform Release 1/2/2018
Statement Regarding Spectre / Meltdown Vulnerabilities
Avalara is monitoring recently published vulnerabilities, widely known as Meltdown and Spectre. The flaws are found in most computer processors and have a near-ubiquitous impact on technology systems and industries.
The engineering teams at Avalara are actively monitoring and implementing remediation steps for any at-risk services. We have prioritized addressing these issues to ensure the safety of our customer’s data and the performance of our systems. Certain preventative measures may require brief, planned maintenance, which will be communicated through the usual channels.
1/4/2018 AvaTax Excise Georgia prepaid sales taxes effective 1-Jan-2018
This only affected AvaTax Excise from approximately 9:30 pm Central time last night until approximately 2:35 pm today.
If you see an orange tab in the upper right corner after logging in that says, “AvaTax Excise”, continue reading. If not, you can ignore this message.
Last night’s 5.31.10 release, included a change to the Georgia prepaid sales taxes at the State, County and City levels to make them activation based rather than automatically active. Upon review, the change should have only affected the state level taxes and not the county and city taxes.
We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
SaaS (cloud) Customers
This was corrected for you at approximately 2:35 pm Central time today.
Self-hosted Customers Only
You can download the scripts and instructions from the Avalara Excise Support Center (login required). If you cannot apply SQL scripts as quickly as you can make profile changes, we have posted instructions that you can use to manually correct this --click here for the steps. If you need help with these steps, open a case with Avalara Excise Support and we will help be happy to you.
1/1/2018 Important information regarding rate changes effective
- Due to the Christmas holiday, the 2017.12.21-5.31.10 Avalara Excise Platform Content Preview was a few days earlier than usual.
- These rate changes were published late enough that they did not get included in the Content Preview:
- 1/2/2018 12:15 pm Central update: Illinois Prepaid Sales Tax – Biodiesel Blends 1-10% tax rate changed to 0.11 from 0.1 effective 1/1/2018.
- Indiana Gasoline Use Tax Rate changes to .136 CPG
- Nebraska Motor Fuel Tax Rate changes to .284 CPG
- Vermont MFITA Tax Rate changes to .0422 CPG
- New Jersey Sales Tax Rate changes to 6.625%
- The above changes will be applied to our SaaS (cloud-based) servers on the evening of Wednesday, January 3, 2018 as part of the 5.31.10 release. Self-hosted customers can download this update that same evening.
Federal Oil Spill Fee expiration
- The Federal Oil Spill Fee is set to expire on 12/31/2017
- While a bill was introduced in Congress on 12/20/2017 to extend the fee until 12/31/2018, they did not pass the bill before their holiday recess.
- Avalara set this fee to zero (0) effective 1/1/2018, in accordance with the law that will be in effect at that time.
- Customers who expect that Congress will pass the bill in January and make the fee retroactive to 1/1/2018 may want to override the Avalara supplied rate.
- AvaTax Excise customers may want to override the Avalara supplied rates from 1/1/2018 to 1/4/2018 (SaaS) or until they can apply the 5.31.10 Platform Release (self-hosted).
- Returns Excise customers who can wait for the 5.31.0 release will not need to do this.
- To learn how to override the above rates go to the Avalara Excise Help Center under Documentation > Maintenance > Rates.
12/21/2017 Content Preview - Self-hosted customers
Self-hosted customers must be running version 5.31.0 prior to applying the 2017.12.21-5.31.10 Avalara Excise Platform Content Preview released today, December 21, 2017. If you attempt to apply the content preview on a servers running a version less than 5.31.0, the setup will fail due to new columns being added to the unit_of_measure_conversions table.
Nebraska eFile Format
Any eFiles submitted to Nebraska having spaces or special characters in the file name will be rejected as a format problem. Use only the naming convention supplied by the state in their instructions.
- K 009333333.edi
Tip: When you download your eFile from Avalara a second time, your PC will automatically add (1) if you choose not to overwrite the original file.
11/30/2017 AvaTax Excise Optimizing System Performance
Applies to AvaTax Excise clients only. Click here to view the configuration changes.
11/8/2017 Support Case Requirements
A new document is added to help the Support team resolve your case faster by listing specific required information. All users, please review it. Either click here or navigate from the home page of Avalara Help Center using the side bar Shortcut link.
9/15/2017 Louisiana Motor Fuel Delivery Fee Report (LA UST / LA UST2)
In 5.30.0 the Louisiana UST2 return was added as a replacement to the Louisiana UST return. Based on issues that customers have had with this return, the obsolete date for the Louisiana UST return is being changed from 6/30/2017 to 12/31/2017 in the 5.30.1 release. The 5.30.1 release will be provided on or before 9/18/2017 - prior to the due date of 9/25/2017. This will allow customers to immediately use the existing Louisiana UST form for filing tax sessions through 12/31/2017. In addition a change to the schedule type for schedules in the Louisiana UST2 form will be included in the 5.30.1 release. A future change in 5.30.10 will provide additional schedule validation messages for the required locations (this change is not required to use the LOUISIANA UST2 form at this time).
Click here for further details about filing.