This document applies to all license types. Content last updated 4/14/2017.
Help Center documentation is confidential and proprietary to Avalara clients.
Each client identifies 2 support contacts who can register to submit and manage support cases on behalf of all their users.
Each support contact must be activated and enable a security token. These are one-time setup steps that ensure only authorized users can communicate tax information securely between your company and support.
Request access to Support Cases
In order to submit a case, the support contact must first request access. If you have already received an email telling you that you have been identified and enabled as a support contact, skip to the next section, Verify access with a security token.
- Click this link to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Excise Support Cases Access.
- Be sure to include at least the First and Last Name, Email Address and Phone Number for each contact.
- Continue when Avalara Excise Customer Support acknowledges your request (typically the same day).
Deployed (self hosted) clients only
- First, check to see if you get a login prompt at this page: https:// na1.salesforce.com. If you see a login screen, you may be set. (You won't be able to login there. this is just a test.)
- Make sure that your User Role has either Admin Support Cases set to either View or Edit
- Try using Admin > Support Cases
- If you did not see the login at https:// na1.salesforce.com, your networking team will need to allow a connection from your Avalara Excise app server to Salesforce. Please refer to the Salesforce knowledge article What are the Salesforce network IP addresses that I need to whitelist? for details. We do not use email to communicate between the Avalara Excise web server and Salesforce, so only port 443 is needed. (This will make sense to your IT Department.)
Even if none of these works, we can still help. Click this link to email email@example.com and we will set you up to use this feature on our SaaS service.
Verify access with a security token
Your Avalara Excise support case security token is a unique set of characters generated specifically for the support contact requesting it. If a new support contact is added, they must follow the setup and request a token matched to their own profile.
- Log into the Avalara Excise Platform (Returns Excise & AvaTax Excise).
- Click the Welcome link in the upper right corner.
- Enter your Current Password and click Unlock Profile.
- Click the Support Case Options tab.
- Click Send New Token.
Tip: Do not sign out after requesting a new token or the verification will fail.
- You will see a message that a token is sent to the email address in the profile.
- Open the token email and copy/paste it into the Token field.
- Click Verify Token.
- You will see the message Token Verified! when it is accepted.
- Support Cases has now been added to your Admin menu.
- A new token can be requested at any time by an existing support contact. Request a new token if your email address changes.