This page is only for Avalara customers licensed for Returns Excise, AvaTax Excise and Government.
Documentation of operation, usage and release dates is confidential and proprietary information of Avalara.
Last revised: December 2, 2020
This page is for Support Contacts.
For the fastest answers, Search First.
- Log in to the Avalara Excise Platform at https://excise.avalara.net. (If no one can log in, click here.)
Creating cases from a Avalara Excise server is not supported.
- Complete the Support Case Required Information.
- Complete the one-time setup for Support Cases, if you haven't already.
- Click Admin > Support Cases > Support Cases from the main menu.
- Click Add New Record.
- Select the best choice for these fields
- Company - if you have more than one, select the one that applies
- Which Product are you using?
- What do you need help with?
- Which part?
- Which best describes your case?
- I have a question about Returns Excise
- Returns Excise is working but with problems
- Returns Excise is not working
- Country-Jurisdiction-Taxpayer Type / Non-00-Specific
- Returns Excise examples
- USA-NH-DST - for a United States, New Hampshire, Distributor return question
- CAN-ON-COL - for a Canada, Ontario, Collector return question
- AvaTax Excise examples
- CAN-ON - for a Canada, Ontario, calculation question
- USA-TX - for a United States, Texas, calculation question
- Only if your question is not specific to a Jurisdiction, choose Non-00-Specific
- Government cases - not used
- Returns Excise examples
- Return Code - will show you the jurisdiction's form name to confirm your Country-Jurisdiction-Taxpayer Type choice
- Subject - enter a summary that will help you find this case if you need to find an answer in the future
- Example - Incorrect file format
- Better example - Upload to Illinois site error: Incorrect file format
An example of creating a case
When can I expect a response?
Customer Support prioritizes based on the following table. We work hard to exceed these standards every day.
|Severity||Description||Acknowledgment||Workaround, Fix or Documented Correction||Error Correction, Upgrade and/or Documentation|
|Low||Minimal Impact: Intermittent errors that do not materially affect normal operation of the software.||7 business days||45 business days||As appropriate|
|Medium||Degraded Operations: Errors that disable only certain nonessential functions but that do not affect the normal operation of the software during the normal working day.||2 business days||15 business days||As appropriate|
|High||Severe Impact: Errors that disable major functions from being performed and therefore affect the normal operation of the software during the normal working day (such as the inability to file motor fuel taxes in a taxing jurisdiction).||8 business hours or next business day||5 business days||Next Upgrade*|
|Critical||Fatal: Errors that result in the loss of all processing capability.||4 business hours||3 business days||Next Upgrade*|
* If the development cycle has not been closed for the next upgrade
How can I escalate a case?
After you open a case as described on this page, if you feel that you are not receiving a timely response, you can take the following actions:
- Review the response-times to see if your case is eligible for escalation
- Have your case number ready (required)
- Call (877) 780-4848 and ask for Excise Support escalation
Communicating with Avalara Excise Support
We use secure, reliable case comments and attachments to communicate. When we update a case, you'll be sent an email letting you know. When you update it, we'll be notified also.
All of your Support Contacts can view or add to a case's Attachments and Comments any time, day or night, except for brief maintenance periods. Standard Support hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT (USA & CAN) Monday - Friday, except on Avalara-observed Holidays.
Closing a case
- When your problem has been resolved, close the case so that it no longer displays in your filtered list of open issues.
- If you solve it yourself, add an explanation.
Tip The explanation can remind you of the steps you took, and your fellow Support Contacts can learn by reviewing old cases.
- Enter or select a date in the Close Case box.
- Click Close Case.
Tracking and case history
You can add widgets to your Home page dashboard that will help you keep track of your open cases, research closed cases and view statistics such as tickets per month, support response and resolution time. Click here to learn how to create and manage a custom dashboard.