This site is only for Avalara customers licensed for Returns Excise, AvaTax Excise and Government.
Documentation of operation, usage and release dates is confidential and proprietary information of Avalara.
Content last updated: November 18, 2022.
Our responsibilities and yours
If you're new to Avalara Excise Customer Support, you'll want to read our responsibilities and yours.
You may also want to look at Do I contact the tax jurisdiction or Avalara Support?
Each customer identifies two Support Contacts who:
- Must be well-versed in the use of the Avalara Excise Platform and have an active user account
- Perform an internal triage of user questions, taking advantage of all available self-help resources
- Can create support cases 24 x 7 x 365 from the product and work with all their company's cases, except during planned downtime
- Provide individual email addresses (group email addresses can't be used for Support Contacts)
Support hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central time (USA/CAN) Monday through Friday, excluding observed holidays. Cases opened or updated outside support hours are addressed the next business day.
IT contacts - forcustomers only
Because self-hosted customers must maintain their own IT infrastructure (servers, database, load balancers, etc.) and also perform their own upgrades, they can designate up to 2 additional contacts, called IT Contacts who:
- Receive release notices. All SaaS (cloud) users receive a release notice with a summary earlier in the day from the Home page Message Center.
- Can download releases and other files by logging into the Avalara Excise production site at https://excise.avalara.com. See Support Downloads for details.
Only Support Contacts can open, escalate and manage cases. Updating IT Contacts is the same as Updating Support Contacts (below).
Keep your contacts current
Let us know when your contacts move from one role to another in a Support Case with the following information:
- For the person to remove: Full name, email address and
- For the person to add: Full name, email address, phone number and title (optional)
- This also applies to IT contacts for customers only
What if no one can login or no one can create a case?
If your company has no Admin users (described in Excise_User_Accounts) or no Support Contacts:
- Send this in an email to ExciseLogin@avalara.com:
- First and Last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- "Admin user" or "Support Contact" (up to 2 each total)
- If you also have a product question, include enough information to reproduce the issue or clarify your question.
Do not use ExciseLogin@avalara.com for other reasons.
Self help resources
All of these options are available available 24 x 7 x 365 (minus maintenance periods).
- Message Center widget - the latest news delivered the moment you login (Home)
- Help Center - smart search at the top of every page - and be sure to check the News Flash
- User Guide - click Help in the top right of any Avalara Excise page
- Case history - think you've seen this before, but can't remember the answer? We saved it for you! Ask your Support Contact to look in Admin > Support Cases > Closed cases (dropdown)
Who gets notified about releases and other changes?
To get all Message Center messages emailed to all users, your Admin users can:
- Go to Maintenance > Companies and click the Master Company Settings tab.
- From the Settings Category dropdown, choose Communication Center.
- Click Receive messages through Email and then the Copy tab.
- Click the Value box to add the check mark and click Insert.