This section relates to Desktop VAT Reporting. If you use Cloud VAT Reporting, please see the Avalara Cloud VAT Reporting help section.
This installation guide demonstrates an installation using Windows 7 Professional SP1 with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express with Tools SP3. Note that a production installation may involve additional steps – for example installing an Application Server or installing a Citrix server.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Verify your information and click Connect.
- When the Management Studio opens, right-click Databases.
- Click New Database.
- Name your new database and click OK. This name is used when you move to the VAT Reporting Module Setup Wizard.
- When you purchased Avalara VAT Reporting, you received an email with the link to our latest software download. Go to that page and click the latest Download version.
- When the file downloads, click it to start the installation.
- Follow the VAT Reporting Module Setup Wizard.
- On the Select Additional Tasks window, select the following options:
- Include ReportingCheck: If you require the Reporting Check tool.
- Create a desktop icon: If you want a desktop shortcut for VAT Reporting Module
- Create a Quick Launch icon: If you want a launch icon on the taskbar
- Continue following the installation steps in the VAT Reporting Module Setup Wizard.
- When the setup wizard ends, go to the Windows Start menu and under Program Files, click VAT Reporting Module to open it.
- When you first open Vat Reporting, an error message opens. Ignore this message and click OK, since the database is set up in the next step.
- In the Database Connections screen, click New DB to connect to a new database.
- Give the new database a name, check SQL Server, add the name of the server you created in step 5, check windows authentication and click Test Connection.
- The connection confirmation assures you that Avalara VAT Reporting is successfully working with the server you previously created. Click OK after the confirmation then click Save.
- Back in the Database Connections section, select your database, click Use this DB and click OK in the confirmation window that pops up next.
- You have successfully installed Avalara VAT Reporting and connected it to a database. You are now ready to open the application from the Start Menu on your computer.
- Congratulations! You're now ready to start using Avalara VAT Reporting