Intrastat reports collect statistics on the trade in goods between European Union (EU) member states, and Extrastat reports collect statistics on the trade of goods with non-EU countries.
Please note that Intrastat and Extrastat filings are only required for companies that meet certain thresholds for cross border trade, for more information around filings and the thresholds take a look at this guide.
To understand how these filings work in Avalara VAT Reporting (desktop) follow the steps below.
- On the main screen, select your Company, filing Period, and filing Country.
- Depending on the type of report you're filing, click Instrastat or Extrastat. This is the only step where filing for these two reports differ. (For this example, we're selecting to file an Intrastat report for sales.)
- When filing Intrastat or Extrastat, file your purchases separately from your sales. Select Sales or Purchases.
- The main panel shows the Intrastat sales report for the period of time that you chose.
- Click Save as when you are ready to file.
- In the next window, choose the format in which you wish to save the report and click Standard report. Below the grey line, you can view (only) in Excel format.
- In the next window, click Next.
- On the User Fields tab, click Yes > Next.
- On the Intrastat Options tab, always check the option Approve this period and store the Intrastat in the History. This step locks the invoices for this period.
- Make sure that the period of the report you’re creating is accurate and click Save Fixed Format.
- Save your report to a folder on your computer.
- View your files or click No. Close any open windows to return to the main panel.
If your company requires it, learn how to file EC Listing and Local Listing reports.