At the beginning of each month we will request transaction data and ask you to upload it to your account. Your transaction data must be supplied in specific formats and templates, the most commonly used being the AvaTemplate. Once the data is prepared, we will send you the draft return and payment memo for your approval. It is very important that your figures are sent to Avalara by the dates shown in the filing calendar. Delays will prevent us from submitting the returns on time which may result in penalties.
Please familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions for the service in EMEA, mostly around point 2.c.vi for a better understanding of the approval process.
Follow the steps below to upload your data to your account.
- Login to Avalara VAT Returns using your email address as your username and providing your password.
- At the beginning of each month we will request transaction data and ask you to upload it to your account. Your transaction data must be supplied in the correct format.
- To upload your data, go to Import transactions and follow your steps to upload the relevant documents. The compliance team will then process your data and notify you by email when your draft return is ready to review.
- You will be able to approve the return online and we will then file it with the relevant tax office.
In certain regions, Avalara may file a nil VAT return when a customer fails to provide transaction data by the filing deadline. This is done to assist customers with remaining tax compliant. Further information on when Avalara will submit a nil VAT return can be found in the Nil VAT returns help section.
Permitted file types for upload
Only the following file types can be uploaded to Avalara VAT Returns:
- Photo formats: JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, gif, tiff, and svg.
- Archive format: ZIP, RAR, 7z, gZip, and tar.
- Document format: xlsb, xlsx, xls, csv, pdf, txt, doc, docx, odt, ott, odm, ods, ots, odf, and odc.
Commonly requested templates and their format
- AvaTemplate, as an XLSX file.
- Amazon VAT Transaction Report (AVTR), as a TXT file.
- Cost Price List, as an XLS file.
- Variable VAT Rate Template, as an XLS file.
Read more about the various data and template types.