Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

What happens if I paid tax to the wrong country?

f you have paid taxes in a different country to the one they are due in, you will be obliged to submit a tax return in the correct country as well as a corrective VAT return to claim back the VAT from the original Tax Office. Please note that the time period for being able to do this may vary depending on each country’s legislation.

For example: A company paid VAT in Great Britain, but it was actually due in Germany. The company will need to submit the correct German Returns and pay the VAT due to the German Tax Office. Once completed, corrected Great Britain returns will need to be submitted that state the reason for the correction. The company can then proceed to claim back the incorrectly paid VAT from Great Britain’s HMRC.

  • Was this article helpful?