After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
Contact Avalara Professional Services to install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software.
Sign in to Workday, and then complete the following procedures to configure AvaTax for Workday.
Enable AvaTax in Workday
To enable AvaTax in Workday:
- In Search, type Edit Company Accounting Details, and then click Edit Company Accounting Details.
- In Company, type the name of the company for which you want to enable AvaTax.
- On the Edit Company Accounting Details page, under the Customer Invoice Options, ensure that Use Third Party Tax Service is enabled, and then, in the Tax Service Name field, type AvaTax.
Add an external ID
If you've already added an external ID called AvaTax Options, you can skip this procedure.
To add an external ID called AvaTaxOptions:
- In Search, type the company name.
- On the Company Details page, next to the company name, click Related Actions and Preview , point to Integration IDs, and then click Edit External IDs.
- On the Edit External IDs page, edit the details as needed, and then click OK.
- Click +. A new row is created in the table. Either choose an existing system or type AvaTaxOptions.
- In ID Value, type the company code, and then click OK. Click Done.
Add a reference ID
If you've already added a reference ID, you can skip this procedure.
To add a reference ID:
- In Search, type the company name.
- On the Company Details page, next to the company name, click Related Actions and Preview , and then go to Integration IDs > Edit External IDs.
- On the Edit External IDs page, in the Reference ID Value field, type the company code, and then click OK. Click Done.
Configure integration attributes
To configure integration attributes:
- In Search, type View Integration System, and then click View Integration System.
- On the View Integration System page, in Integration System field, type AvaTaxOptions, and then click OK.
- On the View Integration System AvaTaxOptions page, click Related Actions and Preview , and then go to Integration IDs > Configure Integration Attributes.
- On the Configure Integration Attributes for Integration System AvaTaxOptions page, fill in the following, and then click OK:
- Service URL
- Account Number
- License Key
Use the information you received from Avalara in an email when you signed up for your AvaTax account. Countries to update TaxDetails Add the countries for which you want to view the AvaTax calculated sales tax details. Optional: Item Worktags Define and add at the header/line level to have Item Worktags reference IDs send as the tax code for the item. AvalaraCompanyCode Select either the Reference ID or the External ID that you created. Optional: Lock WD Invoice After Post to Avalara Select to lock the invoices in Workday after they're successfully posted to AvaTax. If this option isn't selected, the invoices remain unlocked in Workday. Optional: Process this Invoice Type as SalesOrder Select an invoice type to not post to AvaTax. Also, it's document type won't change from sales order to sales invoice. Optional: Send Item Group to AvaTax Select to send the item group reference ID as the item code from Workday to AvaTax.
To make sure your AvaTax for Workday tax profile is configured correctly, send a test transaction.