There are different ways to exempt customers from tax. You can use an exemption number,or use CertCapture. AvaTax allows you to exempt customers using the Sage 500 exemption process.
Exempt customers with CertCapture
To exempt customers from sales tax with CertCapture, you need to:
Create or select a customer
Request an exemption certificate
- Go to AvaTax > Utility > Initiate Exemption Certificate Request.
- In the Initiate Exemption Certificate Request
- Select a customer.
- To add/select the customer's address, click Validate Address.
- Go to the Send Method section, select one of the options to send the certificate request.
- Add a custom message. This field is useful for communicating instructions when using the Communication mode as Fax.
- Click Initiate Request.
The message "The Exemption Certificate Workflow Request has been successfully generated. Tracking code is xxxx-xxxxxxx" is shown.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
Exempt customers with exemption certificate number
To flag customers as exempt, follow these steps:
- In Accounts Receivable, click + next to Maintenance, and then click Maintain Customers.
- Open a customer record.
- Click Sales Tax Exemptions.
- In the AVATAX Tax Code of State field, type the exemption number.
- Click OK.
Assign an entity/use code
To assign an entity/use code to a customer, follow these steps:
- In the AvaTax Task, click + next to Maintenance.
- Click Maintain Entity/Use Code Mapping.
- Next to the Customer ID field, click the Magnifying Glass, and click the Customer ID you wish to select.
- Next to the Address ID field, click the Magnifying Glass, and click the Address ID you wish to select.
- Next to the Entity/Use Code field, click the Magnifying Glass, and click the Entity/Use Code you wish to select.
- Click the green checkmark to save.