Apply tax codes to manage item taxability. Assigning product and product categories to items gives you important jurisdictional subtlety in taxability. Avalara has predefined system tax codes with a taxability profile in place for all US states. Or, create your own custom tax codes and in the Admin Console. Keep in mind that Avalara updates system tax codes when taxability rules change, but custom tax codes and rules are maintained by you; they're not updated when tax laws change. Also, make sure you enable nexus in the jurisdictions where you're required to register and collect tax so AvaTax calculates the full tax amount.
Map items to tax codes
- In Sage 500 in the AvaTax folder under Maintenance, click Maintain Item Tax Code Mapping.
- Next to Item ID, select an item code.
- Next to Tax Code ID, select a tax code.
- Next to User Defined Field 1 and User Defined Field 2, type any additional information that you want to report on in AvaTax for the item.
- At the upper left, click the Save icon.