Some products and services are taxed differently in different jurisdictions. Apply Avalara tax codes to products and services you sell to help account for this varying taxability. There are a few different ways you can apply, or map, Avalara tax codes to your products and services:
- Map items to predefined Avalara tax codes; associate a code with each item you sell so AvaTax knows which tax rate to apply
- Map items to universal product codes (UPCs)
Items that aren't mapped to Avalara tax codes are treated as Tangible Personal Property (TPP), and are fully taxed during calculation.
Map items to tax codes
The process is simple. Map items to Avalara tax codes, and when your accounting software processes transactions or when you upload the transactions to AvaTax, AvaTax determines the taxability for the items you sell based on the rules behind these Avalara tax codes.
Avalara recommends you map items to Avalara tax codes in your accounting software. To learn how to map Avalara tax codes in your accounting software, check your accounting software documentation. See our handy chart for a little guidance deciding whether you should map items to Avalara tax codes in your accounting software or in AvaTax.
Keep in mind that Avalara updates Avalara tax codes when taxability rules and laws change, but you have to maintain your own custom Avalara tax codes and rules; these aren't automatically updated when changes occur. To be sure you're using the most current rules to tax your products and services, use Avalara tax codes. If you map your items to UPCs (universal product codes), you don't need to use Avalara tax codes because UPCs already have taxability rules associated with them.
If you map in your accounting software and in AvaTax, the mapping in AvaTax overrides any mapping in your accounting software.
- In AvaTax for Sage 50, click Configuration.
- On the Tax Code tab, in the Tax Code table, double-click the Item ID that you want to map.
- In the Item Tax Code window, double-click the appropriate code and click OK.
- Click Synchronize with Peachtree to populate your shipping methods and Item IDs. Click OK.