To upgrade to the latest version of AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop, you need to:
- Find the current installed version.
- Check the Admin Console Download section for the latest version details of this integration.
- If the installed version matches the version in the Admin Console, you have the latest version installed in your integration and you don't need to worry about upgrading at this time.
- If the Admin Console has a later version, then you need to upgrade your installation. The release guide list the updates/enhancements made in the latest release.
- Download the latest version from the Admin Console.
Find your current installed version number
Check and download the latest version
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Upgrade to the latest version
It's recommend to attempt the upgrade in a test environment before upgrading your production environment.
To upgrade, follow these steps:
- In QuickBooks Desktop:
- Ensure that you are in Single-user Mode. Go to File and click Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Go to Edit > Preferences > General and ensure that Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups option is not selected.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Close all the processes starting with QB or AVA in the Task Manager.
- Right-click the downloaded zip file and extract the installation folder or file to somewhere that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .exe file in the newly extracted folder, select Run as administrator and complete the installation.
- After the installation is complete, to confirm that the upgrade is successful, follow these steps:
- Right-click on QuickBooks Desktop and Run as administrator.
- Log into QuickBooks Desktop as Admin User.
- Go to File > AvaTax > Configuration and click Test Connection. The Succeeded message indicates a successful connection.
- Repeat installation/upgrade on all workstations (computers) that have AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop installed. Notes:
To calculate sales tax using AvaTax, the workstation must have AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop installed.
Ensure that there is only one AvaTax certificate installed on the workstation. To check for the certificate, go to Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications. If there are two or more cerfiicates, retain the latest version and remove the others.
After you upgrade, you may need to reenter your AvaTax credentials in the Configuration settings.