After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
These steps are for the latest version of AvaTax for OpenCart. If you have an earlier version, we've saved those instructions for you! Learn how to install and configure AvaTax for OpenCart 1.5.6.
Learn how to install AvaTax for OpenCart.
- Make sure you're running the latest version of vQmod for your version of OpenCart.
- Ensure that vQmod is installed and running in your OpenCart web store. For more information, see this page.
- Ensure that SOAP service is enabled in your PHP environment. For more information, see this page.
- Ensure that default time zone is set in php.ini file. For more information, see this page.
- Download the AvaTax for OpenCart zip file and unzip the files in respective folders or contact Avalara Support for assistance.
- Navigate to www.[yoursite.com]/vqmod/xml/extension_conflict_checker.php, and follow these steps:
- If your page displays an "Access Forbidden" error or doesn't open, confirm the required access permissions for the user and the Avalara plugin folder. For details, check \\vqmod\.htaccess.
- If the screen below appears, then AvaTax for OpenCart doesn't conflict with other extensions. Skip to the steps for configuring AvaTax for OpenCart.
- If a screen like the one below appears, then AvaTax for OpenCart conflicts with other extensions. Resolve these conflicts before using AvaTax.
- Delete all the AvaTax for OpenCart files that you copied into the System folder of your OpenCart directory.
- Delete all the AvaTax for OpenCart files that you copied into the Vqmod\xml folder of your OpenCart directory.
After you install AvaTax for OpenCart, it's time to configure AvaTax for OpenCart to ensure it meets your sales tax needs.
- In the OpenCart Admin Panel, go to System and select Settings.
- To edit your default store details, under Action, click Edit .
- On the Settings page, click the Avalara tab.
- On the Avalara Settings page, add the following details:
- Avalara AvaTax Credentials
- Account ID: You received your AvaTax account number from Avalara in an email when you signed up for your AvaTax account. The subject of that email is, Important! Your AvaTax Production Account Number & License Key.
- License Key: You received your AvaTax license key in the same email as your account number when you signed up for your AvaTax account.
- Service URL: If you have an AvaTax development account, use Development. If you have an AvaTax production account, use Production.
- Test Connection: Click to test and confirm your Account ID, License Key, and Service URL. A dialog box appears based on the response received. If the test connection isn't successful, verify the credentials and confirm that the user and the Avalara plugin have the required access permissions (\\system\AvaTax4PHP) folder.
- Company Name: On successful verification, the list of associated company names is populated.
- AvaTax Tax Profile Assistant
- User Name and Password: Type your Admin Console user name and associated password. To use AvaTax Tax Profile Assistant to set up your tax profile, click Submit.
- Tax Calculation Settings
- Enable AvaTax Tax Calculation: Click this to enable AvaTax for your store.
- Address Validation Settings
- Enable AvaTax Address Validation: Click Yes to enable the AvaTax feature for customer addresses and store addresses. Enabling this feature is recommended, but not required. Disabling this doesn't disable AvaTax address validations during tax calculations.
- Return results in upper case: Click Yes to return the validated address in uppercase.
- Only Validate Addresses in: Set this to US, Canada, or Both depending on where you want AvaTax to validate addresses.
- Customer Specific Settings
- Do you want to save transaction on AvaTax: Click Yes to start saving your OpenCart invoices in AvaTax.
- Enable Log: Click Yes to start generating Avalara logs in the system/AvaTax4PHP/classes/ava-logs folder. Don't enable this feature unless directed by Avalara Support.
- Send Model Number/UPC/SKU to AvaTax: Select the tax code that you would like to send from OpenCart to AvaTax. By default, the Model Number is sent to AvaTax. Using this feature may cause additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information.
- Avalara AvaTax Credentials
You can now start using AvaTax for OpenCart.