Apply tax codes to manage item taxability. Assigning product and product categories to items gives you important jurisdictional subtlety in taxability. Avalara has predefined Avalara tax codes with a taxability profile in place for all US states. Or, create your own custom tax codes and in AvaTax. Keep in mind that Avalara updates Avalara tax codes when taxability rules change, but custom tax codes and rules are maintained by you; they're not updated when tax laws change. Also, make sure you enable nexus in the jurisdictions where you're required to register and collect tax so AvaTax calculates the full tax amount.
Map items to tax codes
Map an item to a tax group code
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the left pane, click Home, click Departments, and then click Financial Management.
- On the right pane under Choose by department, click General Ledger.
- Under Lists, click Chart of Accounts.
- Double-click the account that you want to change.
- Expand the Posting pane, and next to the Tax Group Code field, assign the tax group code.
- Click OK.
Map multiple items to tax codes
Use the taxability code mapping utility to map types of items to tax codes.
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV, go to Departments > Avalara AvaTax > Utilities and click Taxability Code Mapping.
- On the Taxability Code Mapping page, add the following details:
- Type: Select the Type.
- No.: Select the number that you want to map from the list.
- AvaTax Taxability Code: Type either the AvaTax System Tax Code you want to use or the custom tax code you created.
- Click Ok.
Map item to UPC
For an item, you can choose to send the model number or the UPC (Universal Product Code) from your accounting software to AvaTax. If the UPC isn't available, the model number is set as the default and sent to AvaTax.
To customize taxability for specific products,need to be mapped to UPCs, and model numbers. Items that aren't mapped to tax codes are treated as Tangible Personal Property (TPP), and are fully taxed during calculation.
- Log in to Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Go to Departments > AvaTax > Setup > AvaTax Configuration > Tax Calculation tab and ensure that the Use UPC as Item Code option is enabled. If this option is enabled, the UPC is sent to AvaTax if it is defined for an item. If this option is disabled, even if the UPC code is defined for a item, the item code is sent to AvaTax.
- To map an UPC to an item, follow these steps:
- Go to Departments > AvaTax > Utilities > Item UPC Code Mapping to map the UPC to an item.
- On the Item UPC Code Mapping page, type the required information to map the UPC to an item.
- To use an UPC instead of the item code, follow these steps:
- Go to Departments > Sales and Marketing > Order Processing > Sales Order and click New.
- On the Sales Order page, select the Sell-to Customer No.
- In the Lines section, create a new transaction and then click Statistics.
- Click Post to post this transaction to AvaTax.