AvaTax address validation is a feature that corrects, verifies, and formats addresses according to the USPS database. When you validate addresses using AvaTax, you ensure that the address is formatted correctly so AvaTax calculates tax accurately. A valid address has 1-3 address lines, including a city, state, and zip code. At this time, AvaTax only validates addresses in the United States and Canada. Validating addresses may incur additional usage fees.
Here are some of the most common addresses AvaTax validates:
- Your company's address - When you validate your company's address, you ensure that the origin address used on most invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your customers' addresses - When you validate your customers' addresses, you ensure that the ship-to address used on invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your vendors' addresses - When you validate your vendors' addresses, you ensure that the:
- addresses used in consumer use transactions are accurate for tax calculation, and that...
- AvaTax verifies VAT calculation is correct for the address you provide (where applicable)
Depending on your accounting software, there are other types of addresses that AvaTax validates. We recommend validating all addresses for accurate tax calculation.
Validate addresses in several different ways:
- Validate many addresses at once - Most accounting software that integrates with AvaTax includes a utility that allows you to validate many or all of your addresses at once. We recommended this method for validating addresses.
- Validate a single address - If you only have a few addresses to validate, or if you're adding a new address and have already validated the others in your system, use your accounting software to validate the address or validate the address in AvaTax.
- Validate addresses during tax calculation - Validate addresses on every transaction sent to AvaTax. This is generally a setting in your accounting software. Avalara doesn't recommend validating during tax calculation because this could increase your usage fees significantly.
To validate addresses, ensure that the Address Validation options are enabled.
Validate an address
- To validate an address on a customer or a vendor card, a site address, or to validate a company address, follow these steps:
- Customer card - On the Microsoft Dynamics menu, click Customer Maintenance and open a customer card.
- Vendor card - On the Microsoft Dynamics menu, click Vendor Maintenance and open a vendor card.
- Site address - On the Microsoft Dynamics menu, click Site Maintenance and open a site record.
- Company address - On the Microsoft Dynamics menu, click Company Setup and open a company record.
- Whichever you choose to validate, in the following window, click Additional > AvaTax Address Validation.
- The Address Validation window displays both the Original and Validated Address.
- Click Validate to validate the original address.
- Click Accept to accept the validated address.
- Click Cancel to cancel the validation.
Validate a batch of addresses
The Address Validation Batch utility lets you validate multiple addresses. To use this utility, follow these steps:
- On the Microsoft Dynamics menu, click Tools > Utilities > AvaTax > Update and then click Address Validation Batch Utility.
- In the Select Options dialog box, next to Content Type, click Customer, Vendor, or Site.
- Next to Customer ID from and Customer ID to, click the Search icon.
- To select the range of addresses you would like to validate, in the Customers and Prospects dialog box, select the first customer and the last customer and then click Select. The Customers and Prospects dialog box selects all the addresses between the first and the last selection inclusive of both.
- In the Select Options dialog box, next to Country, select the country in which you'd like to validate all the addresses from your selections in step 4. If you select No Country Name, AvaTax will validate addresses for which no country has been assigned to the record.
- Next to State From and State To, select a range of states. If you do no select a state range, AvaTax will validate all the addresses in the entire country. We recommend that if you want to narrow your validation to a single state, you set both fields to that state.
- In the upper left, click Validate.
- In the report screen, at the top next to View by, click Valid/Validated Addresses, and then click Mark All.
- Click Accept.
- In the [Number] Address Validated and Accepted message, click OK.