After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Update these settings when your business needs change.
If you've previously installed the integration, learn how to upgrade to the latest version.
Download AvaTax for your accounting software
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe, .pdf, or .msi).
Install AvaTax for your accounting software
You must install AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP on all computers using both Microsoft Dynamics GP and AvaTax, including servers and clients (workstations/computers).
To install AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP:
- Make sure that everyone in your organization who uses Microsoft Dynamics GP is logged out and Microsoft Dynamics GP isn't open on your computer.
- Double-click the installation file that you downloaded from AvaTax.
- In the Destination Folder dialog box, click Install.
- On the Installation Succeeded screen, click Finish.
The more you personalize the configuration of Microsoft Dynamics GP, the better your experience may be. It may also help your tax calculations be more correct.
Choose the company to configure
To login and choose a company to configure:
- Start Microsoft Dynamics GP, and when you see the "Do you wish to include new code now?" message, click Yes.
- If you see a message that says, "This login failed. Attempt to log in again," click OK.
- In the Welcome to Microsoft Dynamics GP dialog box, fill in all the fields, and then click OK.
- In the Company Login dialog box, select your company, enter the login information you used in the previous step, and then click OK. The Avalara Setup Assistant opens.
- To configure AvaTax for the currently selected company, click OK, and then continue immediately to the next section.
Configure AvaTax with the Setup Assistant
When you install AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP, the AvaTax Setup Assistant guides you through the configuration settings required to calculate tax. Work through the following procedures in order.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant, next to Enter your Account Credentials and Company Code, click >, fill in the following, and then click OK:
- Account Number
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It must match what's saved in AvaTax. Web Service URL Select Development if you have an AvaTax development account or Production if you have an AvaTax production account. Test Connection
Click to verify the information you've entered, and then:
- If you see the "Configuration validated successfully. Your license is good until Month Day, Year" message, click OK.
- If you see an error message, reenter your credentials, and then click Test Connection.
Company Code Enter the company code you created when you activated your AvaTax account. The company code must be the same in both places.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant, next to Map General Ledger Account(s) to AvaTax Tax Schedule(s), click >, complete the following, and then click OK:
- Next to Tax Schedule ID, click the search icon.
- In the Tax Schedules dialog box, select one of the following values under Tax Schedule ID, and then click Select:
- If you want sales tax for all taxable states to be in one general ledger (GL) account so it's easy to set up, click AVATAX.
- If you want to select a different GL account for each state, click AVATAX-M.
- Click Map Tax Schedule, and then:
- If, for the Tax Schedule ID, you selected AVATAX, in the Tax Detail Maintenance dialog box, from the Account list, select a GL account, and then click OK.
- If, for the Tax Schedule ID, you selected AVATAX-M, take the following actions in the indicated dialog boxes:
Dialog box Actions AvaTax GL Account TaxDetail Mapping Next to Country Code, click the search icon. AVA Country Code Lookup Select a country, and then click Select. AvaTax GL Account TaxDetail Mapping
- Click Redisplay. The states defined for the selected country display in the table.
- Assign a GL account for each state.
Click Set Tax Schedule ID Utility, fill in the following, and then click Update:
Field Action Tax Schedule ID Select AVATAX Country Select US Update all child records associated with master records Select to enable
- From ID
- To ID
Select a range of tax schedules
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Enable Address Validation for USA and Canada, click >, and then:
- Select Enable Address Validation.
- Under Country Names, select a country in which you want to validate addresses, click --> to move it to Validate When Country Equals, and then click OK.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Test Calculating Tax, click >, and then:.
- If you see a message that says "Great! You are connected to Avalara AvaTax," go to the next step.
- If you see any other message, follow steps 1-3 again.
- To set up your tax profile using the AvaTax tax profile assistant, in the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, click Click here to launch the AvaTax Tax Profile Assistant.
Configure AvaTax for your accounting software
Many configuration options in Microsoft Dynamics GP are available in the AvaTax Configuration dialog box.
To open the AvaTax Configuration dialog box and configure AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP:
- On the Microsoft Dynamics GP menu, go to Tools > Setup > System > AvaTax, and then click Configuration.
- Complete or modify fields in the sections of the AvaTax Configuration dialog box, using the following information, and then click OK:
- Optional: Security options:
The account credentials you entered with the Setup Assistant automatically populate in this window.
Button Action Edit Settings Click to reset or edit any of the fields in the section. Test Connection If you make changes to the fields in the section, click to confirm you've entered correct values.
- General options:
Field Action Optional: Display all warning messages If not selected, you see only error messages. Optional: Enable Item Tax Class Mapping Select to map item classes to AvaTax tax codes. Optional: Item Class Mapping To map an Avalara tax code to an item class, select the taxability field you want to map to. Optional: Tax Code Mapping Enable to map items to Avalara tax codes to account for varying taxability of products and services. Optional: User Defined 1 and 2 Select the type of data you want to send to AvaTax. Optional: Enable Entity/Use Code
Enable to map entity/use codes for your customer addresses to flag them as exempt from sales tax. Click one of the following:
- Entity/Use Code
- Assign Entity/Use Codes
Optional: Entity/Use Code
Click to open the Entity/Use Code dialog box, click the Entity/Use Code ID field, and then, in the AvaTax Entity Code Lookup dialog box, select an AvaTax entity/use code.
Optional: Assign Entity/Use Codes Click, and then:
- In the AvaTax Entity/Use Code Mapping dialog box, next to Customer ID From and Customer ID To, select a range of customer IDs to which to map an entity/use code.
- Click Redisplay.
- Next to the customer for which you want to assign a code, click in the Entity Use Code ID column, and then, in the AvaTax Entity Code Lookup dialog box, select an AvaTax entity/use code.
Optional: Send Item Account to AvaTax Select to let the general ledger account for the item send data from a field to AvaTax. Default Shipping Code The default shipping code when you enter a shipping charge on a sales document. Optional: Default Miscellaneous Code Select the default miscellaneous code, the custom tax code for a miscellaneous line on an invoice. By default, this field is blank. Optional: Request Timeout Enter the length of time to wait for AvaTax to respond to calculation requests. We recommend that you don't adjust this setting. Optional: Enable Adapter Logging This function is primarily used for troubleshooting issues. If you choose to enable logging, all success, warning, and error messages are included in the log. Only enable logging if you've been instructed to do so by Avalara Support, because it can significantly slow down your service. Optional: Extensive Logging Select to automatically log AvaTax activities and save the details in a local log file. Optional: Check/Fix Default Data Click Check to scan for errors in AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Tax Calculation options:
Field Action Optional: Disable Tax Calculation If you choose to disable tax calculation, your accounting software no longer uses AvaTax to calculate tax on transactions. Optional: Always check address before calculating tax Select to forcebefore tax is calculated. We recommend that you don't select this because it may lead to extra charges. Optional: Resume Tax calculation in case of Address Validation Failure Select to let AvaTax calculate tax for a transaction even if it can't validate the address for the transaction. Optional: Enable Tax Calculation on demand Select to do a tax calculation when you press the keyboard shortcut that you select in the Keyboard Shortcut menu. Optional: Keyboard Shortcut Select a keyboard shortcut to use for on-demand tax calculations. Optional: AvaTax integration for Receivables Transaction Entry Select to enable tax calculation in the Receivables Transaction Entry dialog box in AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP. Optional: Tax Amount Adjustment functionality via Receivables Transaction Select to allow tax adjustments on receivables. Optional: WennSoft integration Enabled Select to use the WennSoft integration for the Receivables Transaction Entry dialog box in Microsoft Dynamics GP. Optional: Enable Item Tax Option Override - Sales Transaction Entry Select to disable AvaTax tax calculations on new lines in Microsoft Dynamics GP transactions. Optional: Use UPC as Item Code Select to send a UPC instead of an item code to AvaTax. Using this feature may trigger additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information. Tax Schedule ID Select AVATAX or AVATAX-M. GL Account Mapping Click, and then select the GL account that you want to map to the AVATAX or AVATAX-M tax schedule. Optional: Pass (Used in Tax calculation) Select a country to use its name to trigger AvaTax tax calculations. Optional: Set Tax Schedule ID Click to open the AvaTax Tax Schedule Utility. Optional: Enable Use Tax Assessment
If enabled, your accounting software uses AvaTax to calculate consumer use tax on vendor consumer use tax transactions.
Optional: Use Tax Payable Liability Account If you select Enable Use Tax Assessment, select the use tax payable liability account. Optional: GL Account to Debit If you select Enable Use Tax Assessment, select the GL account to use for the consumer use tax service. Optional: Use Tax Debit GL Account If, from the GL Account to Debit list, you selected Use Tax Debit GL Account, select the use tax debit GL account.
- Address Validation options:
Field Action Optional: Disable Address Validation If you disable address validation, AvaTax uses the customer's ship-to address to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled. Optional: Return results in uppercase Select to save all address validation results in uppercase format. Automatic or On Demand Validation
Select one of the following:
- Automatically check addresses and previously validated addresses on saving: Select to trigger an address validation when you save a record type.
- Only check addresses on demand: Select to disable all address validation functionality except for a keyboard shortcut.
Optional: Keyboard Shortcut Select a keyboard shortcut to use to calculate tax. Perform Address Validation based on the Country Names selected Select countries for address validation on the left, and click --> to move them to the field on the right and activate them. Optional: During Batch Processing Validation, continue processing regardless of errors Select to allow batch address validations to continue regardless of errors. Scan, Accept and Report Validated Addresses during Batch Address Validation Select whether acceptance of batch address validation results is manual or automatic. Optional: Reset Click to clear the Address Validated flag so verified addresses are not recognized as previously validated.
- Optional: The About Avalara tab contains technical information about your connector/integration and your AvaTax account.
- Optional: Security options: