Both ACH credits and ACH debits generate payment confirmations.
- An ACH credit is when a payment amount is transmitted to the jurisdiction, which generates a trace number
- An ACH debit is when banking information is provided to the jurisdiction to pull the amount from an account, much like purchasing an item on a website. This generates a separate confirmation PDF that looks like a duplicate of the return confirmation.
The ACH credit confirmation spreadsheet, the return confirmation, and the ACH debit confirmation are available by the end of the first week of the month following the filing. For example, for March's returns, which are filed in April, the spreadsheet is available by the end of the first week in May.
States that don't accept ACH credit payments
While most states accept ACH credit payments, some don't, and a few accept them only at the state level (but not, for instance, at county and city levels). We update these lists as state statuses change.
States that don't accept ACH credit payment at any level:
States that accept ACH payment only at the state level
View an ACH credit confirmation
An ACH credit confirmation, also known as an ACH payment trace, is similar to a receipt for an ACH credit. Use it:
- To confirm that a payment went through
- If there’s a question about a payment (e.g., if a state claims it didn’t go through or if it didn’t get posted to the right account under your company)
To view an ACH payment trace:
- In AvaTax, on the Tax Returns tab, go to Filing Archive, and then choose the month and year of the payment for which you want to see confirmation.
- Ensure Region is blank, and then click Click Here to Download ACH Payment Trace IDs for the Selected Month. The spreadsheet you download includes the following fields of information for all ACH credit payments for the selected period:
Field Description Company Name The company name in AvaTax Company ID The company ID in AvaTax State Abbreviation of the state receiving the ACH credit payment State Name Name of the state receiving the ACH credit payment Individual Name The company's filing name for the jurisdiction Individual ID The company's registration ID number issued by the jurisdiction Amount Amount paid to the jurisdiction via an ACH credit transaction TC
Transaction code associated with the ACH transfer.
If TC is 22, the payment was an automated deposit to a checking account.
Trace Number A tracking number the bank assigned to the ACH transaction Destination Internal bank designation for the ACH transaction
View an ACH debit confirmation
To view an ACH debit confirmation:
- In AvaTax, on the Tax Returns tab, go to Filing Archive, and then choose the month and year of the payment for which you want to see confirmation. ACH debit confirmation PDFs for the selected period display on the table with their return confirmations, appearing as duplicate return confirmations.