Set up CertCapture to manage your customers' compliance documents. Use CertCapture to store your customers' exemption certificates, excise documents, and federal withholding forms. CertCapture connects to AvaTax to exempt your customers' purchases from tax.
Before you begin
CertCapture needs details about your business to manage your customers' compliance documents effectively. Before you set up CertCapture, gather these things:
- CertCapture account login and password
- A list of the states and jurisdictions where you're registered to collect and remit sales and use tax. If you don't have a consolidated list of jurisdictions where you're registered to collect and remit, gather your registration paperwork from each jurisdiction's Department of Revenue.
- A list of your exempt customers. You likely need to export this list from your accounting software.
- Copies of your customers' compliance documents. CertCapture can store current and historic certificates, so gather all documents you'd like to associate with one of your customers.
- Log into your account software and be prepared to copy this information about your business:
- Legal company name
- Addresses for all your locations
- Contact information for your CertCapture account's primary point of contact
- For the best experience using CertCapture, make sure your Internet browser meets the minimum requirements
- Internet Explorer: IE 10 or IE 11
- Chrome: Latest version
- Firefox: Latest version
- Safari: Latest version
- Microsoft Edge: Latest version
- Set up your company in CertCapture.
Before you start using CertCapture, you’ll need to set up your company profile so it matches how you do business. If other team members will be helping you use CertCapture, create user accounts for each of them.
- Add your customers.
Add your customers individually, or use import templates to add multiple customers to CertCapture.
- Upload and validate your compliance documents.
Add any compliance documents you have on file and match them to the customers you've added.
- Keep CertCapture up to date.
Run reports to find problematic customers and documents. Learn how to use CertCapture to request missing documents from your customers.